Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Second Wind

Hey fam!  

For those of you aquainted with running, a "second wind" is when you are running and you feel super tired but you just keep on pushing and all of a sudden you get a little special boost of energy.  I know others of you won`t believe this is possible, if you hate running, but I testify that it is real.  Anyway, this week I had a very strong second wind for missionary work!  

So one night we were at a member`s house chilling in the hammocks waiting for an investigator to show up.  I was talking to the old lady and she asked me how much time I had left.  When I said "2 weeks" the words stung coming out of my mouth!  It was a weird realization that the end is near!  When it didn't look like the investigator was going to show, I thought, "Dang!  We gotta do something!"  I asked my comp what we should do.  I immediately thought of one family that lived on the complete other side of our area.  About a 15 min walk at missionary pace.  My comp suggested that we visit a less active young adult that lived nearby.  I thought, "No we can`t visit him because we have to go visit that family!"  I told my comp that I wanted to go all the way over there to see them and he was like, "Uh...okay." So we left.  When we got there all the doors were closed and I thought, "Dang, we walked all the way over here for nothing."  We yelled "Buenas Noches" through the door and the family opened!  They invited us in and we were able to share the first lesson with them and they were very attentive!  I have no doubt that the spirit was telling me that night that they were prepared and if I put excuses and done what was easier we might not have found them!  

Cool fact number 2 this week is that I dedicated a tomb!  A very old very sick member of our branch died this week and the funeral was on Wednesday.  He could hardly walk so it was probably a good thing, because now he`s in a lot happier place.  The dedicating experience wasn't like any other though.  One of the man`s sons was very drunk and crazy and kinda through a fit.  Right before I gave the prayer he ran over to the empty tomb poured a bottle of beer in and then threw the bottle in too.  So yes, I blessed a tomb with a beer bottle in it.  Not something ya do everyday I guess. 

Finally, Before you all freak out when you see the picture, I have some news.  There`s a saying in the mission that you can`t go home until your girlfriend leaves you, you get bit by a dog, and you poop your pants.  Well...I am pleased to say I have now passed through two of the check list.  On Saturday afternoon I was playing with some little kids and I guess the dog got scared and bit me on the arm.  It's actually not very bad and I already made sure the dog was vaccinated, cleaned it out good, and the nurse put me on some antibiotics.  Now I just need to poop my pants!  Hahaha, I've had a few close calls already....

My last 2 weeks of glory!  You all are going to have to help me with English when I get back.  This week in my interview with president I said a prayer in English and I accidently slipped in 3 Spanish words!  oops.  

Love yas,
Elder Lawson

P.S. We`re going to the temple next Thursday so I'm not sure if we`ll have p-day on Monday or if it`ll get moved to Thursday, so if you don't hear from me on Monday it's because I'm going to write Thursday!  :D

Mud oven

Chopping firewood to help make tamales


Carved my name in a tree to live on in Honduras forever!

Dog bite.