Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Thursday, July 17, 2014

"Elder Lawson, where the freak are you?"

Hey Family and Friends!  

Well it was kinda a bummer not getting to hear from you last week or say much, but that's just the way the tortilla crumbles I guess!  Here I am with a nice Honduran update!  

Things are going well!  We have a few progressing invesitgators and the church attendence is more or less stable.  Dropped a little this week, but it could have been because of the soccer game.  I also got hugged by another drunk guy!  Elder Baez thinks it's funny that they always hug me and not him.  I just told the drunk to dance for me and got a kick out of his dance.  Elder Baez is a good as ever and he's keeping me focused for this last little bit that I have left.  I'm a pretty happy camper because I got to do two things this week I've wanted to do my whole life!  Milk a cow and kill a chicken.  These two things are SUPER common here in Buena Vista.  Not sure if you have realized, but I basically live on a farm.  This week I did have a pretty eye opening experience though!  

So we were visiting with a member a lady who's husband got shot and killed last week (don't worry he was a big thief and kinda had it coming). The point is, while visiting her I had a "where the freak am I?" moment.  We showed up and entered her little dirt, one room house where all there was was a hammock.  She sat in the hammock and the rest of us were standing around her.  It was hot and dirty and noisy.  There were about 6 baby puppy dogs in a corner whimpering, neighbors outside talking, and her baby daughter crying.  Over all these crazy circumstances, there I am, a little white boy in a shirt and tie, talking in Spanish about our Savior Jesus Christ and his wonderful Plan of Salvation.  Then all of a sudden the baby starts crying louder and so what does the lady do?  Whips out her boob and starts trying to get the baby to lach on.  Well, turns out the baby wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat, so she just kept trying to shove it in her face all the while the baby screams louder.  We all stood there patiently waiting for her to calm the baby down and I continued with the lesson.  The funny thing about all of this is that for me, all these circumstances were normal.  NORMAL!  As I stood there afterwords it all hit me.  "Elder Lawson, WHERE ARE YOU?!"  Well self, I'm in Honduras.  And that is normal life here.  Crazy huh?  

The 4th of July last week was fun.  Like I said in the pictures we ate chili dogs and had root beer floats.  Very American if you ask me.  

The mission is ending sooner than I think and with only 3 short weeks left I'm trying to do my best to go all out.  There is still a lot of work to be done and its my job to do it!  

Congrats to my parents on their anniversary this week and congrats to Elder Preul who finishes his mission today!  

Have a good one! See ya real soon!  
Elder Lawson

4th of July

Chili dogs

and rootbeer floats!


Animals just eat up the gospel!

Milking a cow!



Drinking FRESH milk!

Surprisingly, I didn't get diarrhea!

My hammock

See, more animals eating up the gospel!

Climbing the water tower

At the top

Another Samuel the Lamanite pic


Cutting the head off a chicken


Baby Turtle!!



With Jose Angel, Valentina, and Samircito in church!