Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

4 Things

Well, Family and Friends, the time is shortly approaching us.  In less than 10 days I will hug you and see your pretty faces.  I'd like to take this moment ot share with you the 4 main life lessons that I've learned here on my mission...

1. Gratitude.  I really can't explain how my perspective on life in the United States has changed in my time here in Honduras.  People here live VERY differently.  They don't have the fancy gagets we have, they don't have the cars, the money, or the fashion.  Sometimes they don't even have money for a bite to eat. Yes they still complain like you and I, but for the most part they realize that life goes on and you've got to make the most of it.  If we live life always wanting more and more, we'll never be satisfied.  So it's better to just be grateful for what we have!  

2. Repentence.  I can't tell you how many times I have felt like Alma in Alma 29.  Oh wicked pueblo!  Why won't you repent!?!  I have seen the hardships that sin brings on the lives of people.  I guess before the mission I just thought that most people were naturally good.  Since being a missionary I've had a closer look on the real side of the world.  The evil that it is.  I truly have a testimony that "Wickedness never was happiness" (Alma 41:3).  After seeing and trying to help so many wicked, lost people I've just ended up frustrated in my failure when they won't listen.  It seems so easy, yet so hard.  It's better to just not sin.  I PROMISE.  

3. One true church.  There is ONE true church of God.  It is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I KNOW it.  There is no doubt in my mind.  Before my mission I had never really seen much of other churches.  Here in Honduras I have been in the heart of the battle of words and doctrine.  Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, established ONE church and it is ours.  There is no denying it.  I am certain of it.  

4. Love.  Being a member of the church and feeling the Savior`s love, changes you.  He loves everyone.  I thought I knew of love before but I was wrong.  I have had many experiences when I can't explain why, but I just feel so much love for someone.  All I want is for them to feel my love and know that they have a Father in Heaven that loves them too. Really, that is our principal message.  He loves us, He knows us, Every one.  We just need to let His love in.  

The war is almost over, the battle is almost won,
Goodbye my loves,
Elder Lawson
Cows.  Lots of cows in Buena Vista.

Eating a crab.

Dead iguana that we are about to eat!

Eating coconuts


Iguana, looks and tastes like chicken wings!

Eating iguana

We moved out beds outside because it was so hot!

Sleeping outside - the sky is amazing!

Taking water out of the well for Valentina's sister Carolina.

Elder Baez is a natural!

Me with the dog that bit me!  Turns out it's Valentina's sister's dog!  We went out to visit her to see if it had rabies (it doesn't by the way) and we used teaching her as an excuse.  Well...turns out that she loved our message and even came to church on Sunday!  God works in mysterious ways I guess!