Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Rough week = Gratitude!

Hey family!  

So this week was a super rough one.  After the baptisms of José Angel and Valentina, we were left again with no one to teach here in Buena Vista.  :(  We were forced to start looking for new people again.  What made things even harder was that I honestly just wasn`t feeling like it.  There were a few days when I was just done.  Done with people telling us they already have a church, done with begging members to bring their friends with them to church, done with people telling us they`ll go to church and then not going, done with being hot, done with the 24/7 bugs buzzing around my head, just overall DONE with Honduras and being a missionary.  I spent time pittying myself and dreaming of home.  It wasn't until Saturday that I realized how much of a baby I was being.  Here I am, spending 2 years, 2 little years!, of my life suffering with these people, while they have to suffer a lifetime.  Some of them have almost nothing and still make huge sacrifices.  In that moment I realized that my 7 weeks left here in Honduras is nothing left to the lifetime these people have left.  I`d like to take this moment to tell you about a few people from Buena Vista who really know what life is about....

Hermana Digna - She was baptized about 3 years ago with all her family minus her husband.  She lives about 2 miles from the church and walks over an hour every Sunday to get there.  In the 2 months we`ve been here I don't think she`s missed one.  Her house doesn`t have electricity but that doesn`t matter to her, she still has family scripture study and prayer and even FHE!  She also rides her bike once a week to clean the church too.  PILAS

Hermano Santiago - An old man with 2 teeth that was a drunk until he got baptized 5 years ago.  His wife left him back when he was a drunk and now he lives with his nephew and his family.  They don`t treat him very well so he mainly just goes around visiting people during the day.  The week before their baptism he went and visited Jose Angel and Valentina everyday and even gave Jose Angel a tie and an old pair of shoes to wear to church!  He always invites people to church activities and goes to visit investigators with us sometimes.  Randomly this week he went over to the church and cut all the grass in front with his machette and no one even asked him to.  Talk about service.  PILAS

Hermana Dilia - My Cocinera.  She`s been a member for over 20 yeras now and is as strong as ever.  She has been cooking for the missionaries ever since.  She makes the food for us really cheap and is always ready if we need her.  She cooks over a fire and does it like a pro.  I feel so much love from her everytime we go there.  And I can`t tell you how grateful I am for her.  

After living like a Honduran for 2 years, I feel like when I go home everything is going to seem really foreign.  I`ve forgotten really how really truely blessed I am. I need to savor every second I have left here to love these people as much as I can and bless their lives that desperately need blessings.  When times get tough remember that there is always someone out there that has it so much worse than you do.  What breaks my heart is hearing people here tell their kids, "Eat your rice and beans, because there is a little boy in Africa who doesn't have food." I just think, "Or there is a little selfish boy in America who only eats the food he likes."  These people understand what it means to be grateful and they haven`t even dreamed of having the things we have!  Stick houses, dirt floors, no electricity, out houses, those things are their life!  And they find ways to be happy.  So why can`t we?  Don`t wait for vacations to be happy, don`t wait for work to end, don`t wait, be happpy now!  Lets take the challege to be happy no matter what!  After all, it makes life so much worth living:)

Have a happy week!  
Elder Lawson

Zone conference

Gift for Valentina and Jose Angel


Coconuts!!!  (Gift from Jose Angel)



Pooped on by a bird at Jose Angel y Valentina`s house....

José Smith pic

BEACH DAY!!