Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Spring Time!

Hey Peeps,


This week we did service for the young men's president.  We helped him peel some logs!  I'm sure you're all thinking right now..."Peel logs?"  But that's exactly what we did!  His family is building a new house because the old one is really small (like the size of my bedroom at home) and they want a bigger one.  The old one and the new one are made out of wood posts and plastic with a tin roof.  The problem with the posts is that before you use them to build the house you have to peel off all the bark.  This is done by smacking one little log against the trunk and peeling the bark off.  I got some gnarly blisters from so much hammering but it was fun.  Definitely something super different.  Tomorrow we are going back to start putting the house together!  I'll see If I can get some pics.  

The highlight of the week was when one of our investigators, José Angel, prayed that him and his wife could get married on the 14th!  It was his first prayer of his entire life and he did it sooo perfectly!  He then came to church on Sunday!  Elder Baez and I are really excited for them and we know that they were totally prepared for us!  His wife looks a lot like and reminds me a ton of my mom even though she's younger than me....

Funny thing - My cocinera (cook lady, she's super amazing to us) knows I'm going home soon and for that reason is always trying to set me up with all the young women from the branch so I bring one home to the states with me.  (Don't worry mom NOT A CHANCE that'll happen!)  Anyways, it's always really awkward for everyone when she does so I've started telling her that I can't fall in love with any of them because I'm already in love with someone else.  And when she asks who, I say HER!  hahaha (No need to worry there either mom she's 50 something years old.)  At this point the awkwardness always changes back to her side and we change the subject.  It's pretty funny for me because I still go by mine and Derek Hart's high school belief that "Awkward doesn't exist."  And she always thinks it's pretty funny too.  Her husband is a hoot.  He's not a member but loves to joke around with us.  I'm pretty sure he knows the church is true but won't become a member because of his own personal pride and all the corruption there is in the church here.  Whenever we ask him when he's going to get baptised he says he can't because he was already baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of the FIRST day saints.  Or a.k.a. the FDS church.  Haha it doesnt actually exsist, it's just a joke but it's fun to joke around with him.  

Well along with many teenage Honduran girls and my cocinera, I found out this week I have another stalker.  He's a 20 something, mentally challenged kid that is seriously so funny.  He hangs out with us a lot while we eat at our cocinera's house.  We call him "El Primo" or "The Cousin" in Spanish.  So the other day he was talking about the church.  (He talks really mumbled so I can only get out a few words here and there.)  But he keeps going on and on and I just keep acting like I understand what he's saying.  He starts getting closer and closer to me and then gives me a hug.  I think "Oh he gave me a hug, that's nice" THEN!  He plants a kiss right on my cheek!  Muah!   Everyone started laughing and I was just like "did that really just happen?" and then it just became a funny story.  He calls me his boyfriend sometimes and we all just laugh but I learned my lesson about getting close to him... haha!  Funny stuff..  

Well, I know the email was kinda lame this week, but what can ya do!  I'll try to get some good stories to tell you next week.  Hope you like the pics!  

Congrats to Abby and her graduation this Thursday!  Wish I could be there, but I promised you 3 years ago at my own graduation that I wouldn't be able to make it because I'd be in the mission!  ha!  

Lots of Love,
Elder Lawson

Happy 6 months Elder Baez!

Traditional burning of the tie.

Me preaching to some sheep.


Kicking back some banana soda after a pretty rough day of work.

El Primo (Story Above)

Drinking delicious milkshakes in a bag with Elder Chapman.

Reading the BoM in the only park (if you can call it that) in Buena Vista.



Eating Lizard soup with Nelson a less active member.