Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Happy Holy Week

Hey Fam!  So this week here in latin america was "Semana Santa" (Holy Week)!  Otherwise known as the week before Easter.  Here everyone has the week off from work and school and it is basically Honduran spring break.  Everyone goes to the beach and since the beach is in my area we saw a TON of people passing though.  My comp and I actually haven't gone to the beach yet, but we will be going this week because we hear that there are a lot of people that live there and missionaries haven't really gone there very much.  Hopefully we'll find some chosen people!  

So, with the Semana Santa comes some traditions.  One of which is a dish called "Sopa de Torta de Pescado" or in English, "Fish Bread Soup."  Some of you might remember last year when I had this dish....let's just say it tastes as good as it sounds.  GROSS.  My comp and I were able to finish it all and the family came to church this Sunday!  Our attendence this week was 39!  We rose 10 people!  It was very exciting and things are looking better and better in our area.  Our plan is to teach the charlas (discussions) to all the less actives and animate (motivate/excite) them to come back to church.  That way they'll get excited and we'll be able to baptise their friends and family that aren't members!  Brilliant.  

Like I said church was great yesterday.  39 people showed up!  And 7 investigators!  It was Easter Sunday, but really here Easter Sunday isn't super special.  It is just the day everyone goes home from their vacations.  My comp and I tried to make it special by talking about the Atonement in our Sacrament talks.  I talked about Sacrifice and how He sacrificed todo (everything) for us and how what we have to sacrifice is so little compared to what he sacrificed.  I kinda talked harshly a little bit when it came to the fact that the members here don't want callings and don't want to give classes and don't want to go to church every Sunday.  I basically told them that the church is not a public service.  The church is what it is because of all the sacrifices people have had to make in the past so that it grew.  I hope the members understood the message and learned that we all have to do our part!  "We all have wrok, let no one shirk!"  :)  After our talks we taught Sunday school to the youth because the teacher didn't show up and then I taught priesthood because there is no offical priesthood leader here in the branch.  Triple Play!  Teaching all 3 hours of church.  WIN.  

I'm really back in my element here in the South.  You really feel like a hardcore missionary here.  The sun beats down on you and there's dust everywhere and you always feel dirty and there are pigs and cows and goats and iguanas in the streets and nobody has couches or even anything but dirt floors and porch chairs to sit on and you don't eat some meals and the power goes out, but you don't care!  Because the only thing that matters to you in that the people go to church and make sacred comvenents with the Lord.  That's it!  I really love the South for that reason.  It helps you forget about the world and focus on the work.  It was hard at first leaving the air conditioned office but now I'm grateful I came down here because I can just forget myself and go to work these last 4 months.  

I'd like to finish by sharing with you a video that the church released this week.  It's INCREDIBLE.  Maybe just because I'm a missionary I like it so much but really, it's GREAT!  Although Easter is fun with all the candy and gifts we can never forget the real reason we celebrate this great holiday.  ENJOY!  http://easter.mormon.org/?cid=HPTU041514694

Love,
Elder Lawson

Sorry just one pic this week, My comps camera broke too so we're kinda in a state of dificulty....

Easter Sunday