Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Donde la vista es buena

Wow!  I have so much to tell you!  

First as you know this week I had changes.  I'm no longer AP!  Just a regular old missionary and it feels soooo great!  There was a conference for leaders the other day and I didn't have to go!  Nice.  Now all I do is worry about my area and my investigators. Easy?  Well....I wouldn't say that, but easiER! :)

So my new area is called Buena Vista. If you type in [Buena Vista Honduras] to google maps I'm sure you'll find it. Its a tiny little pueblo by the beach and let me tell you the people here are soooo nice!  Our first few days everyone was sooooo happy to see missionaries here again, members and nonmembers!   Before us 3 months had passed by without missionaries.   

Without any missionaries here, the house got SUPER dirty.  But like you can't even imagine how dirty it was.  REALLY dirty.  Luckily I knew that was the case ahead of time and I brought a ton of cleaning supplies down with me from the city.  We spent the first 3 days just deep cleaning the house and I'll give you a breif summary.  Does a trashbag full of leaves, dead bats, dirty toilets, and super murky water sound nice?  haha well lets just say it was quite the experience.  I took some pictures, but this computer is slow so I can't send them all right now.  

My new comp is Elder Baez (Byes) he's a short Nicaraguan that has a huge fire for sharing the gospel.  He only has 5 months in the mission but he already knows exactly what he's doing.  We've been working super hard and we want to do our best to help this branch grow back to its full potential!   We hear that there are about 250 members here in Buena Vista but only 30 are active so our goal is to get 100 people in church by the end of our time here.  VERY POSSIBLE.  We're excited for that.  

Another great thing about my new area is we have a cocinera!  She makes us lunch and dinner and we pay the equivalent of $1.25 for every meal.  Boy am I going to miss cheap food when I'm back at home....

This time for general conference we went Honduran.  Meaning we only could watch the Sunday morning session and it was in Spanish.  All the other conferences I've watched all 5 sessions and in English too!  But here we are so far away from everything it wasn't possible to watch any others but the Sunday morning.  Hardly anyone else here watches the other ones though either.   Now I'm just waiting for the Liahona to come out so I can read them all.  We actually were going to watch the priesthood session at a member's house but right then the power went out and didn't come back till 8:30. Bummer.   Welcome to the Honduras.  The power goes out a lot at that time because the government wants to conserve energy, and so they just cut the power in the whole town for a few hours and we all just suffer in the dark.  

Now for the bad news....My camera broke.  We were in district meeting and I had just taken a picture when my finger got caught on the camera cord and launched the camera out of my hand.  Imediately everything went to slow motion and choirs started singing dramatic music.  I reached down to catch it out of the air but my spiderman skills were not turn enough and it fell crashing to the ground right on the lens.  OUCH.  So I guess the fotos I send now might be the last for a while.  My comp has a camera so I'll just ask him to pass me fotos for now but I don't know if I should buy a new camera or what.  My mission is ending in 4 months so I'd survive without it.  But it might be a good idea if we think Abby might use it on a mission someday.  Just let me know what to do.  

We're going to Choluteca to play basketball today so I got to go, but I'll probably hop on later to write a little bit more!  

I love you all and thanks for all you do for me!  Go back and listen to Elder Ballard's talk from the Sunday morning session again!  It was great!   

Love,
Elder Lawson

Later that day... We saw a bunch of other elders today because we went all the way to Choluteca to play dodgeball.  Our trip there was quite interesting.  An hour of walking, a bus, and 2 hitch hikes.  Welcome back to Southern Honduras.  Our area doesn't have a single paved road and there is nothing but cantelope fields, cows, goats, chickens, fires, and innactives.  It's great!  YOSO (You Only Serve Once, credit: Elder Reyes)


Elder Baez and I in front of our house.

Cleaning the first day.

Cleaning out the Pila. (Where they keep their water!! YUCK!)