Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Friday, April 18, 2014

Battle of the Churches

Good Morning Teacher!  

Haha hey everyone!  How are ya'll?  I started my letter out with ¨good morning teacher¨ because it's one of the most common things little kids yell at me here!  haha.  Whenever they see a gringo they always just yell whatever English they know.  Sometimes I get ¨How are jew!¨ or ¨Whajur name?¨ One time a kid yelled ¨How are jew!¨ and I said ¨Good and you?¨ and he said ¨yes¨ - haha it was funny because he clearly had no idea what I had said to him.  You get used to it really quick and start to laugh about it.  The kids really aren't the problem, it's weirder when 30 year old women with 3 kids already give us cat calls....

So yesterday was my first real Sunday in the branch Buena Vista.  It was quite the experience, let me tell you that!  We passed the sacrament, but luckily didn't have to give any classes yet.  In total there were 29 people that showed up.  Think about that.  29!  The church (well, it's a rented house) felt so empty!  Everyone was too nervous to share their testimony so we ended up sitting in silence a lot in between us and the 5 members that went up to the pulpit and ended at 9:50.  Being here will take a little getting used to...  The sad part is that there are over 200 members here that just don't go.  We've been visiting them, but with little sucess.  We're going to keep trying though!  The funniest part about yesterday was when we had priesthood outside and a drunk came up and started yelling at us during the lesson!  Normal Honduras I guess....

Other funny story - We are teaching this old guy who can hardly walk.  He's actually kinda crazy and doesn't understand much, but he's already been to church and we're hoping we can help him make the step to baptism!  Well the story is that we were teaching him and during the closing prayer he all of a sudden starts screaming at these kids that are playing nearby.  During the prayer!  It was really funny.  My comp was just praying and he was yelling like a mad man.  

Well, things are hard here but we're pushing though.  As Elder Holland said, "Salvation is not a cheap experience!"  Missionary work isn't easy!  But it's not supposed to be because nothing in the Lord's church is easy.  It's all just "worth it."  Do your duty and recieve your reward!  

Thanks to my family for the package!  It was awesome!  The best part was the tape!  Thanks so much!  

Love,
Elder Lawson

P.S. Also I called the email battle of the churches because like everyone in Buena Vista already belongs to a church!  We just need to help them find the right one!

Oficially an adult, but always a kid :) 

TIRED = HAMMOCK


Writing in my journal with the cross pens Papooh gave me!  I only use them to write in my journal because I don't want to lose them!


Adventures in our area.



PDAY!  It was like a 4th of July style party!  We ate fire grilled hamburgers, watermelon, and chips and then had a water fight!