Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Words of Wisdom

¡¿Que Ondas?!

Welcome to another edition of "What's going on with my (fill in the blank with your relation to me [son, nephew, grandson, friend, best friend, kinda friend, ex-boyfriend, acquaintance, stranger, co-worker, etc.]) in Honduras!!" haha

Well this week was a good one!  But I seem to say that every week huh?  I guess I'll let you decide if it was a good one!  Here's what happened...

First, I did something I have never done before.  I broke the word of wisdom!  BUT!  Before you all freak out and think that your (son, nephew, grandson, friend, best friend, kinda friend, ex-boyfriend, acquaintance, stranger, co-worker, etc) is a sinner, I have some explaining to do... (for those of you who aren't members of the church, the word of wisdom is a commandment given to us by a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to keep good care of our bodies and therefore prohibits the consumption of 5 things being, alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, tea, and coffee).  OK.  So here's what happened.  I was on divisions (a companion switch for a day, I do them on average 3 times a week as AP) with Elder Smith (picture below).  A super awesome, funny elder that grew up in Louisiana (LSU fan, go tigers, suck it roll tide) and most recently lived in Utah.  So the point is we showed up at a member's house and they gave us lunch.  We sit down and the maid brings us a pitcher of juice with two glasses.  I look at the pitcher and think "hmmm that looks a lot like iced tea..." So I asked the lady, "What type of juice is that?" She told me it was tamarindo (a delicious fruit juice) so I said "ok" and took a sip.  Well...It wasn't tamarindo.  the cool thing was when I tried to drink it I like choked a little like the spirit was trying to tell me "hey, this is bad!" I had never tried iced tea before, so I didn't know exactly what it tasted like so I could be sure but I poured it back in the pitcher and put the pitcher back in the fridge while the maid went to the pulperia to buy more drink mix.  When she came back she had two packets of iced tea in her hands and the mystery was solved!  She would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for the meadling elders!  Haha but after that I just asked for water and made up an excuse about how it was really hot and drinking juice makes you feel sick.  The maid isn't a member so I just let it go and afterwords just kept on doing what we do best, preaching the gospel!  haha I know this story is kinda pointless and doesn't have really anything to do with missionary work but it was one of the funnier and more exciting things that happened this week so I thought I'd include it!  haha

Ok now for a cool story that actually has to do with the gospel!  Yeah!  It's about Gabriel.  I mentioned him last week but basically he's the greatest man I've met in all of Hondruas.  He has serious financial, family, spiritual, and smoking problems but wants to change all of that.  We've been visiting with him for about a month now and he's changed sooo much!  Now he's praying every morning and helping his wife with the chores.  It's great!  The best was what happened Monday night though.  He's a taxi driver and we always call him every night to bring us home because we want to support him and chat some more.  This night was special though.  As we were driving he told us that he wanted to make a promise in front of us and God that he wouldn't smoke anymore and we were like "sweet do it!!" and then he took the pack of cigarettes he had in the car and said "won't need these anymore" and threw them out the window!  It was so great!  Elder Mendoza and I were so happy to see this we couldn't contain it!  He's super ready to be a member of Christ's true church and on the 29th he's getting baptized!  That's his plan at least!  Helping people like him really make the mission worth while.  The two years of hard work, no worldly entertainment, separation from you family, it all becomes worth it when you can see the difference this one true gospel can make in people.  I'm so happy to have the opportunity to serve a mission and be able to really love and serve the people in Honduras.  It's great! You all can try it too!  As President Kimball said, "Every member a missionary." We're all in this work together!  Let's get to it!  Invite your friends!  Welcome the new people!  Be an awesome member missionary!  I promise you missionary work is unbelievably rewarding.  :)

Have a great week everyone!  I love you! 

Elder Lawson

Elder Smith

Picking wild raspberries in the woods of Valle de Angeles.



Me with a ton of coffee and a Word of Wisdom pamphlet!

A cool view of the mountian town of Valle de Angeles.