Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!

FELIZ NAVIDAD A TODOS!!!  

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and you're all enjoying your Holiday break.  But there's no breaks for me! Christmas is a great time for sharing the gospel!   With all the people feeling the holiday spirit and their new year's resolutions, their hearts are super open to our message!  For this reason we had some very spiritual lessons.  I really feel like I'm becoming a better missionary!  Which I'm excited about.  

My message this week is all about the spirit of Christmas.  I got to go back to my old area in the city and it was really fun to see everyone again.  I met a guy named Marcos that doesn't really have anything.  He was a drunk I always saw in the street but stupidly never taught him anything.  The new elders found him and started teaching him.  His story is amazing.  A few years ago he got seriously injured and lost his job and his family.  For that reason he took up drinking and smoking even more than ever.  For years he was lost in a state of drunkeness and sadness.  Well, this week I got to visit him with Elder Workman.  We had a powerful lesson about the Savior and for the first time in my mission I had a lesson where an investigator almost cried because of the power of the Spirit.  He broke down when Elder Workman explained how after our lives Jesus is going to ask us how we lived and if we say bad he'll cry of grief and sorrow with us.  But equally if we respond good he will cry, but these tears will be tears of joy.  Marcos now has 2 days of no drinking or smoking.  A VERY big step for him.  I gave him a picture of Jesus to look at everytime he wants to drink or smoke and he appreciated it.  It was really touching to see someone so helpless, but with soo much joy.  He had nothing, but knew that if he relied on the Savior he could have joy and happiness.  After the lesson he got really excited and pulled up his mattress and showed us a pair of shoes he had hidden underneath.  I don't know if you remember but I had had a pair of shoes that were too big for me.  I left those shoes in my last house and the new Elders had found them and given them to Marcos for Chirstmas to wear to church!  I was overjoyed to see that my shoes could bring so much happiness to a person who used to be so sad.  This gospel really changes our lives and the lives of those around us.  Don't be selfish!  Share this gift with everyone else.  I'm tired of members putting up excuses to not share the gospel.  I don't care if they are Catholic, if they are smokers, if you don't know them that well, INVITE them to church, INVITE them to listen to the missionaries, bear your testimony to them.  Don't think of them how they are now, think of what they can become.  I made that mistake with Marcos.  I never reached out to him.  I thought he was just another drunk that would reject us.  The other Elders came along and didn't think that way.  They made the effort to share the gospel and look what happened!  He's preparing to change his life around and be baptized this month.  Don't let people like Marcos pass by you without sharing the gospel with them.  Not everyone is going to accept your invitaion. That's alright, they have their agency, it's not your job to say yes, but it IS your job to make the invitation.  They can't say yes if they never have the option of doing so.  So, invite your friends!  Invite your neighbors!  Invite your coworkers!  Invite everyone you know!  You'll be surprized at the good you can do.  There's plenty of room in the Celestial Kingdom for all of us:)  

Christmas is all about giving after all right?  Put a new years resolution to invite everyone you know to church this year!  You won't regret it!  

Thanks to The Brights, Ropers, Guthries, Jessens, Aunt Sarah and Uncle John and Aunt Dee and Uncle Jason for the Christmas cards!  

TALK TO YOU IN 2014!!!  
Elder Lawson

With a parrot in Danli (pics were on another Elder's camera for a few weeks!)



Elder Johnson!

The mini guitar from Elder Medivil

Christmas ties with Elder Mendoza

Seeing Alex in the Travesia

Christmas eve con presidente