Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

NO MORE RICE!!!!!


Hey family! 
Ever eaten so much rice you can´t stand to think about eating it anymore?  Well...I´ve basically reached that point.  We eat it every single day, if not twice a day.  It gets sooooo old.  I haven´t gotten tired of beans yet at all, I still love them!  but I´m so done with eating rice.  I don´t see myself eating much of it at all after the mission. 
Yesterday was quite the exciting Sunday at church.  We had a few investigators there and since it was fast and testimony meeting Elder Edwards and I decided to "salt the sacrament."  (When you go up and bear your testimony before everyone else about missionary work so everyone else starts thinking about it and then bears their testimony too and the members end up helping us out more with references because they are excited to do missionary work.)  This plan, however, backfired when the high council representative got up and made all the young people in the audience that are of mission age come up in front of everybody.  Then he lectured everyone about how we need to send every 20 year old boy and girl on a mission.  This kinda freaked me out because my converts Alex and Jenny were up there in front of everybody and they felt really awkward because they don´t really want to go on missions at the moment.  He then made all of those chosen volunteers give their testimony from the pulpit.  This is when all my frustrations and worries went away.  Alex and Jenny were going to bear their testimonies!  They did so great!  I couldn´t believe how well they did.  I was just smiling at them really big from the seats.  They were totally ready to bear their testimonies they just needed that little push and they did AWESOME! 
The other day I felt like Elder Edwards and I were something out of a movie.  It was a Saturday morning and we were walking through our area coming back from a really great appointment.  All of the normal Saturday activities were going on but I just felt like him and I were standing out.  Like we were too good to be in that place.  Like we were glowing.  I don´t know, it was cool.  We were just walking though a busy market with dirt ground, people yelling and selling all sorts of food, really loud music, buses and cars zooming by and then us in the middle walking with only Books of Mormon in the hand like we owned the place.  It was sweet.  

Only in Honduras....During priesthood hour at church we got a phone call so I went out to the hallway to take it.  Guess what I bumped into when I opened the door?  A STRAY DOG!  There was a dog inside the church.  I chased it out and was really shocked.  (I guess I shouldn´t have been...)
On Sunday night the power went out so we had to go home.  (Walking around our area when there is no power is SKETCH.)  Imagine, two little white boys walking through one of the most dangerous, sinful, cities in the world in the pitch black.  Probably not the ideal situation.  Anyway, we went home but the problem was we didn´t have any food!  We had fasted that day too so we were really hungry after only eating some rice and salad for lunch.  We looked through the cupboard and know what we found?  Nothing but a half loaf of bread and an avacado. So what do we do?  YUP guacamole sandwiches.  They were not good at all.  But hey, you´re only in the mission once right? 
Today for our PDAY we went to Picacho!  It´s a big Jesus statue on the mountain.  It´s basically a cheap copy of Rio de Janerio.  Lots of things in this country are just cheap copies of stuff, clothes, toys, movies (illegal), and electronics. It was pretty cool.  The view was AMAZING!  You could see the whole city!  I felt like I cheated the system a bit though because usually you have to climb up to get to see a great view (like 14ers in Colorado) but in this case the bus just brought us to the top.  I think it´s so cool that I live in a city!  After living in the suburbs my whole life it´s crazy that I´m living in a capital city! 
The work is still going pretty well!  We should have some baptisms this weekend.  Changes are this week though and I´m worried I won´t be here to see them!  We´ll see what happens. 
Love you all!  Thanks for all the love and support!  Happy Birthday today to my Dad!!  Sounds like he had a fun trip! 
Love,
Elder Lawson


Lecha (Lychee) Fruit that I really like.  It´s like a sweet mamon (Other Honduran Fruit).  I know it looks gross but it´s really good!  

Preaching the gospel to EVERYONE!

Bagged Milk I drink everyday.  It´s safer than the boxed milk.

Going a day without our backpacks, only our scriptures!

Our not so delicious guacamole sandwiches in the dark.

P-day trip to Picacho