Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Friday, October 11, 2013

Exclamation Points!!!!!!!

Hey Family!  

I hope you all were able to enjoy conference as much as I did! I noticed two great, very important themes!  The first was missionary work!  Uchtdorf, Nielson, Ballard, and Mckonkie all talked about missionary work and how we all should be doing it all the time!  I really liked the excitement that the speakers had for missionary work!  You all should catch the wave and get excited too!  Missionary work is a lot more sucessful when the members actually help.  I can testify of that!  The other main theme I saw and liked was the roles of men and woman.  Elders Christoffersen, Cook, Anderson, and Sister Stephens all talked about how the world is dying and woman are becoming more and more manly and this is not the way of God.  I thought that was cool how they explained the equal but different roles of both genders.  The coolest docrine I thought was the analogy given by Elder Anderson of the window.  The priesthood is the light of God.  And priesthood holders just open the window to let the light in.  It was a really cool way of explaining how the priesthood blesses our lives.  I had never really thought before how many blessing we recieve as members of the church from God through the priesthood.  We are so blessed!  

Again Honduran Conference was very bizarre.  30 people at the Saturday sessions and Sunday afternoon, 150 people at Priesthood the session, and 400 on Sunday morning.  I still feel like there´s something they don´t understand...

Elder Ochoa of the 70, who talked in the last session, is coming to our mission in a few weeks so that´s really exciting!  I´ll get to meet him.  

We cut Henry, our investigator´s hair this week!  He had long nasty hair and we cut almost all of it off!  I´m not much of a hair stylists and neither is Elder Edwards, but his girlfriend is!  So we justified telling Henry we knew what we were doing on that account.  Haha, it didn´t turn out too shabby!  

This week we tried to visit an American girl that is living here.  We got REJECTED.  It was my first American rejection!  I really feel bad for missionaries in the states.  We just tried to ask her how she was doing and she just kept saying, "Now´s not a good time, maybe later."  OUCH.  Any normal Honduran person would try to talk us into leaving but we ALWAYS can get a few words in to start a conversation.  This was just flat out RUDE.  But now I have more sympathy for missionaries in other countries.  

So you heard the Prophets: Who ya gonna invite to church?  Do it!  I guarantee you won't get rejected as hard as me!  

Thanks to Aunt Dee and Andrew for the letters!  I still really apreciate snail mail letters because I know they´re harder!  

Love,
Elder Lawson

Areopostale shirt in Honduras!

Gringo room to watch General Conference in English.

Zone!

Nerd glasses, kind of like the ones my Dad used to wear in college!

Chocolate banana treat after Priesthood session of conference!

Just barely can't plug in the stove top.


Cutting the long hair of an investigator, Henry.


The result!  Not too shabby considering we had no idea what we were doing!

With Ariel.