Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pants too high


Hola familia!!

How are all of you??  I'm doing great!  Time here is just flying by like no other!  This week especially went by really fast and sooooo much happened!  Ever since I got here I've just been busy out of my mind!  So first the title of my email is ¨pants too high¨ because all the guys in my zone make fun of their poor zone leader because his pants are too high!  I don't mind though, I take pride in my high pants!  (Not sure if he pulls them up or if he is growing and they are getting too small.)  I'm happy to have already won the respect and friendship of the members of my zone.  I've been super blessed with some great missionaries.  My zone actually baptized the the most out of any zone in the mission this month! So Elder Reyes and I were really excited about that.  

Super Funny Story - So this week Elder Reyes and I were visiting and one of our citas with J* (the lady that got baptized this week) fell back a half an hour because she was running late picking her kids up from school.  She's a single mom and she's incredible.  I'll explain her story below, but anyways we got a call from her that said she'd be late, it was raining hard and I had the idea to just wait for her at the bus stop so we could help her with her two kids to get to the house in the rain.  While we're waiting under an overhang hiding from the rain (not sure why because we had already gotten soaked) a random drunk guy came up to me.  Not sure why, but the local drunks LOVE talking to the missionaries.  They never give us trouble just say stuff about the states and ask for money.  This time the guy came up to us and asked us what church we were from, I responded with ¨La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias¨ before I even finished he said ¨me too!¨ which I didn't believe for a second.  He then asked me for a foyetto.  I lied and said I didn't have one because we're not supposed to give them to drunks because, believe it or not, they used them to roll joints of weed and smoke it.  Kinda sad, smoking pictures of Jesus.  But after I told him I didn't have any, I did give him a pass along card.  He sat there in silence with us for a few moments and then I looked back to the rain.  I then felt a tap on my shoulder.  When I turn around he hands me a pack of matches.  I'm like ¨Uhhh thanks¨ and he just starts walking away.  I was like ¨what the heck?¨and then he turns back and taps my comp on the shoulder and gives him and used tub of toothpaste that he clearly just took out of the garbage.  I start dying laughing at this point.  He then taps me again and gives me a broken calculator.  I just bust out laughing!  It was serioulsy the funniest thing ever.  He then turns to us and does and thumbs up and says "Amigos? amigos?¨ we say, ¨Amigos!¨ and he goes on his merry way.  You might have had to be there but I couldn't stop laughing all day about this experience.  Gifts from a bolo!  

So J* is serioulsy a gift from Heaven.  She's a perfect investigator.  I told you a little bit about her a little while back.  She was a reference from some other elders that we went to contact.  At first we couldn't find her house but at the last minute I saw a house in the distance and it was hers!  So she's a single mom, her husband got shot by the local gang 2 years ago and she lives with her two kids and her sister.  Her mom died when she was 10 and her grandma that raised her died when she was 17.  She's a saint.  You can't tell at all that she's been though such hardships.  We taught her and she immediately accepted everything we said and came to church with us 3 weeks in a row.  Her two little kdis are adorable.  I'll get some pictures of them this week.  During the lessons they are known to climb all over us and give us make overs by combing our hair and one time spraying us with perfume!  It was really funny, but I love those kids.  On Saturday she got baptized!  It was awesome to see her finally get baptized.  

I'd love to start getting some hand written letters!  I'm gonig to try and start writing some more now.  I get stuff super fast!  And I don't really have all that much computer time anymore.  (Oh and also my birthday is comming up... ;) 

Happy 4th of July!  I hope you all are celebrating for me!  I miss you all and hope you're enjoying your summer!  

Elder Lawson

Gifts from the drunk guy

Zone members

J*'s baptism