Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Crazy People!

Hey family!  

So this was a pretty nice week!  Sorry for the late email, yesterday was a very busy day and for that reason I didn't have any time to write!  Being a Zone Leader is hard work sometimes!  Right now we've been doing a lot of work to marry some people for our zone.  Like I've explained before, not a single person in Honduras gets married when they should.  Well...gets married at all really.  When a girl gets pregnant the guy either leaves or they decide to live together, but NEVER do they put a ring on it.  So for this reason when we want a family to be baptized they need to be married to complete with the law of chastity.  That's where we come in!  I now officially know how to do all the paperwork on how to marry someone in the country of Honduras.  haha.  

So this week we had a few different encounters with crazy people.  The first one came with a lady in our ward.  She's about 70 years old and 70 years in the ghetto of Honduras can take a toll on people sometimes.  She told us the other day that when she goes out at night she packs heat and then showed us her gun!  SHE'S 70 YEARS OLD!!!  And she's still wielding a gun.  We do FHE's with her family basically every Monday night so we are coming to know them really well.  She ALWAYS feeds us too.  And there is absolutely no declining her food.  Last week she made us this nasty type of tamallie that I hate.  I of course had just eaten dinner before so there was no room for any food let alone a tamallie.  So what do I do?  Eat half of one, and causally stuff the other one in my sock when no one is looking.  Smooth.  I'm getting really good at getting rid of food I don't want to eat without being rude.  In the South I used to throw it out the window when no one was watching.  Still have never been caught!  :)  I just hope I never do because that would be REALLY awkward.  

My second encounter with crazy people came this week at church.  Two people showed up that weren't quite all there in the head.  One was a lady we had talked to before.  To start the lesson she told us she wanted to be baptized.  Then we taught the whole first discussion and at the end she asked us what church we were from and said she thought everything was lies.  Then after talking a bit more she said she wanted to come to church on Sunday.  And she showed up!  She walked in 30 minutes late then sat with our recent convert Yesenia but then 3 minutes later left again, came back with a coke and then 5 minutes after that left and went and did who knows what in the bathroom for like 20 minutes!  I kinda lost track of her and we just let her roam.  Afterwords we saw her sitting in the street and she pretended like she didn't know us.  Hmm....well saved by grace I guess...

The other guy in church showed up and behaved himself.  But after sacrament he went out the back door and started bathing himself in the water spicket out back!  All the members asked us if we knew him but we honestly had never seen him before!  I went to class and never found out what happened to him.  I suppose he went home?  Fun times.  

Well thank you all for the letters that keep flowing in for my birthday! And a special thanks to Aunt Dee for the package!  Gosh these 17 days are going to be hard to wait!  But slowly it comes.  

I love you all so much!  We have changes tomorrow but I don't think anything is going to happen with Elder Reyes and I.  

Enjoy your summertime!  
Elder Lawson

Cool Honduran hat!

Machette I bought last week!

New haircut.

Is the pen mightier than the sword?