Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Rain, rain, GO away!

It rained every single day this week!  I actually really like it.  It's just inconvienient when you have somewhere to go and don't want to get completely soaked...Other times...You LOVE just getting completely soaked (look at the picture).

Church yesterday was...interesting?  Before sacrament meeting started we were waiting in the foyer for our investigators that didn't show up when in walked an investigator of the other missionaries.  We were greating everyone that came in and as with Hondurans it's a custom to kiss the person's cheek when you greet them.  The members know that the missionaries don't do that but new people often are a little...mislead.  Needless to say a 12 year old girl walked up, I shook her hand and she attepted to give me a kiss on the cheek.  I did an awkward juke and was able to avoid it, but it was still a very awkward situation.  Elder Briones made fun of me the rest of the day as to how awkwardly I juked her.  

In sacrament meeting I gave my testimony since it's probably my last testimony meeting I'll have here because changes are next week.  It was my first time to speak at the pulpit in sacrament meeting in Honduras, but I handled it like a champ.  In all honestly my Spanish is getting pretty good.  I can communicate with everyone except for really old people and racist people.  The old people have 3 teeth so they don't talk clear and the racist people can't get past my accent because they're snotty and not opening their ears (unwilling to listen).  But it's seriously getting better and better each day!  

On Thursday we went to Wendy's to eat lunch (the only American resturant in Choluteca, we eat there at least once a week) and we ran into a ton of GRINGOS!  They were from some Southern Baptist church, here for a service project.  I went up to talk to one of them and I literally couldn't.  ENGLISH IS SOOO HARD!!!  Well, meeting people in English is hard.  Us missionaries talk in English all the time, but we never have to introduce ourselves or make small talk becuase we all have nametags and know each other.  But to meet someone new in English is VERY hard.  I realized I've probably met sooo many more people now in Spanish than I've met in English.  So now you guys are warned that when I get back I will definitely be one of those super DUPER awkward RM's.  there's no way to stop it.  Sorry all you potential wives...

Well you guys are the best!!  The new EFY songs are seriously soooo cool!  You should check them out.  (https://www.lds.org/youth/music?lang=eng) It's awesome how cool church stuff becomes on the mission.  If anyone is feeling generous they can go to Deseret Book and buy me magazines, books, charts, book marts, toys, quotes, you name it!  I'll think it's cool.  That you all so much for your support!  I love you! 

Elder Lawson

Enjoying the rain.

Cutting the grass in the backyard.

Cutting a Mango and hopefully not cutting off his hand in the process!

It's the rainy season alright!

E*'s baptism.

Tyler said it took months to baptize this girl because she lives really far away.

Laundry Day.  The socks really cracked me up!