Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Lizards, Frogs, and Rain - Oh MY!

Buenas Tardes loved ones,

This week was a good one!  But really I'm just most excited for Wednesday because it's changes!  I still have no idea if I'm leaving or not, but it's pretty likely I'm going to leave.  Even though I'm looking forward to a change of scenery and people, I'm not super excited to leave behind Las Unidas.  I've now spent 7 months of my life living here, eating here, and serving the people here!  As much as I want to leave, leaving is going to be very hard.  I said goodbye to a few people yesterday and believe me, it was tough.  All of my friends are here!  But it's only for the best.  I've done my job and now it's time to move on.  

This week we finally ate gyrobo!  We were sitting in a lesson and in walked a guy selling a huge gyrobo he just killed.  Of course we bought it and brought it to a Hermana's house to cook!  A guy skinned it for us and the next day we ate it for lunch!  It tasted like chicken.  A little funky and made me feel weird.  I didn't like it much, but it wasn't the taste as much as the feeling.  I actually got really sick from it the next day and my stomach hasn't fully recovered yet.  Note to self: don't eat lizard, no matter how much it tastes like chicken.  But still a cool story! 

Funny story! - So this week Elder Briones and I were in a lesson and it went alright, but the lady wasn't really paying any attention to us.  (This happens alot because everyone lets us into their house even if they don't want to hear our message.  Many times it's super hard fro them to say no.)  Anyway, we were teaching the first lesson and at the end I asked her to pray.  She said, yeah ok and so we bowed our heads and...waited.  Then we waited some more.  I felt really awkward and started thinking "Did I say that right?"  "Did she not understand?"  As we sat there in silence I thought about what I should do.  If I say something and she's really praying silently it would be rude.  It was a very awkward situation.  We sat there staring at the ground about 2 or 3 minutes until an idea pops into my head.  I just said "Amen" really loud and she said "Amen" too and I got up shook her hand and got ready to leave.  Elder Briones just tilts his head and gives me a really funny look but goes with it.  It was pretty funny.  

A very Happy Father's Day to my Dad this week!!  

Love,
Elder Lawson

With one of the oldest members in Honduras.  
He was baptized in the 60's with the first of the firsts!

On the mountain top we climbed for p-day today.

The Gyrobo we ate!  That eventually made me super sick...

"It tasted like chicken!"

Trash bag over the backpack.

My water protection method!

L*, G* and D* baptism!