Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I think I love it here.

Dear Family,

First of all I'm super sorry I couldn't write yesterday.  We've been super busy doing a ton of stuff and we honestly didn't have any time to stop by the internet cafe to write.  Right now I also don't have anytime to read any emails, only time to tell you about all the changes to my life!  

So...I left the blistering heat of Choluteca!  Yeah!  I am now in the city of Tegus!  Wooo!  My Area is called the Travesia and my new comp is named Elder Reyes.  He's super awesome.  He was born and raised in Boston but his parents are both from Guatemala.  This means that he speaks perfect Spanish and he has a Boston accent in English.  It's hilarious to hear him say the word "Snickers" haha!  We're getting along super great.  We laugh and joke around a ton.  We're the Zone Leaders in the "Zona La Esperanza."  This means him and I are in charge of about 18 other missionaries.  This keeps us super busy making sure they are all being obedient and have the things they need.  This is the reason I couldn't write yesterday, Elder Reyes was showing me the ropes of being a ZL and showing me around the city.  I seriously LOVE it here!  The city of Tegucigalpa is beautiful and sooooo much different than Choluteca.  There are a lot of cars and people all over the place!  The members here are also amazing!  They feed us a TON!  My first day here we had 3 dinner appts.  I honestly couln't eat it all but I was able to find room somehow with much prayer. Haha.  I hear it's pretty dangerous in the city but I haven't seen anything yet.  There's just a bunch of drunk guys that live in our area.  Today I saw two of them fighting over trash!  Two drunk guys fighting over trash...Only in Honduras.  It was hilarious!  

So there's a Mormon Message about a kid from Honduras that used to be a gangster but changed his life and now is a member. (http://www.lds.org/media-library/video/youth/mormon-messages-for-youth?lang=eng&start=13&end=24#2011-05-007-a-change-of-heart)  I went to his house!  All the scenes when he's cooking and sitting on the roof and everything - I went there!  It's pretty cool.  I also watched this Mormon message without the subtitles and understood it, so my Spanish is improving a ton!  

Lastly, before I go I want to tell you about an investigator we found the other day!  Her name is Y* and she's great.  She was a reference and we had her phone number.  We called her and got directions to her house and couldn't find it to save our lives.  We looked an looked for 20 minutes and were about to give up when I saw one last house that kinda fit the discription.  We decided to go knock the door and what do you know it was her!  She let us in and we taught a great lesson to her about the restoration.  She was very receptive!  She then came to church with us on Sunday and loved it!  She has two little kids and during the lessons they always climb all over us and during sacrament they were running around, but we just think it's funny and as long as she's not stressing out we don't care!  Yesterday her two kids treated us like a beauty parlor and sprayed perfume on us and combed our hair.  It was funny.  They're super cute.  But Eldre Reyes and I are really excited because she's going to get baptized on the 29th!  She is definitely one of the chosen investigators!  

In summary it was super hard to leave my first area on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning because I seriously love the people there so much.  Saying goodbye almost brought me to tears.  But ever since I've gotten here to Tegus I've been happier than I've ever been in my mission.  I love it soooo much.  It's just so much faster, smarter, and more lively I guess!  Elder Reyes and I are going to do great things.  I'm a little nervous about all the new responsibility, but I know I can handle it and the Lord will help me out when I can't.  He's always there for us.  

Thanks for the books mom!  Now that I'm in the city I'm going to get letters an packages a TON faster.  But because I'm a ZL I'm not going to have as much time to email.  So if people who want to write me would switch to hand written letters I would greatly appreciate it!  

I love you all!  Hope you're having as much fun as me!  Remember you can always have fun no matter where you are or what situation you're living in!  

Elder Lawson

Goodbye Familia Aguilar!

Goodbye Elder Adams!  (Went home on Wednesday.)

Parrot at a member's house.

Me and Elder Reyes! (Ahem, Elder Reyes and I!)