Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Friday, June 28, 2013

City Slicker

Hola amores, 

Well here I am!  Still here in the lovely city of Tegucigalpa!  Life here is seriously sooo different.  People move so much faster and are so much smarter!  Teaching is a lot easier because the people actually understand what you're telling them!  There are cars, buses, and motos that zoom by you every which way and there aren't any cross walks so you have to j-walk across the highway and be really careful.  I love that there are places to buy baleadas or Honduran tacos and every corner so we really don{t cook anymore.  I my old area we had to cook all of our meals.  Also the members here feed us a ton!  I{m definitely going to get fat again here in the city.  When I was in Choluteca i lost about 10 pounds and you could see my six pack for once!  But now i feel it slowly fading away :(  Sometimes we have to keep eating and eating even when we don't want to!  On Thursday this week was the worst.  Between 1 and 8 p.m. I ate:  lunch (rice, chicken, and french fries), 2 Honduran quesidillas, a doughnut, 4 pancakes, warm milk and cookies, and dinner (beans, eggs, cheese, and platanos).  Soooooo much food.  I thought I was going to explode.  I still haven't decided which is worse, starving or having to be overly stuffed.  

One of the only downers to being in the city is the water.  It's soooo much colder. Showering feel like ice.  I'll take a bucket any day over these ice cube showers.  Next time you take a shower turn in on all the way cold and try to bathe.  That's my life!  We have a little water heater but right now it's broken.  We should probably fix that...I did have the pleasure of taking a hot shower in the AP's house when we went on divisions the other day!  That was quite rico :)  My first one in 8 months!  Never again will hot showers or washing machines be taken for granted.  

The ward here is really helpful.  Not sure if you guys saw the fireside about missionary work last night, but it was super cool!  You should check it out if you didn't (http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormon-lmissionary-work-worldwide-broadcast?CID=HPL2P01W01032). They talked a ton about how members need to do their part in the work of salvation!  WE CAN[T DO IT ALONE!!!  So please help your local missionaries :) 

Being a ZL isn't too hard.  We're just in charge of making sure all the missionaries of our zone are working to their full potential.  We really take the full blame if our zone doesn't baptize.  We report to the AP's and they tell the mission president.  This Thursday our zone has their quarterly interviews with president and that means we get to hang out with him all day!  I'm excited for a chance to talk to pres more.  He's a really amazing guy and I want to get to know him better.  

Elder Reyes and I are getting along great!  We're hilarious together.  We both are working hard and getting these people to salvation!  He's a really good missionary and really has great connections with the people.  All the members here just love him!  It's fun.  

Funny city story of the week : Yesterday morning during the Sunday ¨race¨we were walking to pick up our super pilas investigator, Yesenia.  On our way we happened upon one of the infinite drunks that live in our neighborhood.  Right as we were approaching him he walked over to a wall, pulled his pants down, and just started taking a dump.  Yup, pooping in the street.  Only in Honduras right?  

I hope you guys are having fun and thinking and praying for me!  I still pray for you guys but it's hard to spend too much time thinking because I'm just so busy and having so much fun!  Remember the church is true and the book is blue!  

Also I found Glen Roper and his son Adam on page 99 of the General Conference issue of the Liahona.  Fun Fact!  

Thank you so much Grandma and Aunt Taryn for the magazines and letters!  Like I said they will arrive to me infinitely faster now that I'm in the city and a ZL.  We go to the mission offices almost every Monday.  

Love you!
Elder Lawson
Elder Reyes and I after the good ole USA put a beat down on Honduras! 
We sang the national anthem and said the pledge of allegiance!


Looking like thugs.

Volleyball game on P-day