Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Happy Birthday Dylan!!


First I´d like to send a big shout out to Dylan for his birthday this Saturday!  12 years old!  He's gonna get the priesthood soon!  Congrats buddy!   

This week was quite the crazy one!  I went 3 days without sleeping in my own house or seeing my area!  Let me tell you, being District Leader isn't any walk in the park!  But I love all the responsibility   But leaving my district meant that Elder Briones (Bree-yon-neys) had to do some growing up!  He had to show other elders around our area and set up all our appointments and call the members and everything!  I'm so proud of him!   
So first I went out to El Truinfo.  It's a little city that you have to take an hour long bus ride on dirt roads almost to Nicaragua to get to.  It was a fun trip!  I spent the night there and got to sleep in their air conditioning!  It's literally the worst air-conditioning unit I've ever seen and you can barely feel the cold, but it's better than nothing!   

The next morning we went back to Choluteca and I met up with Elder Briones for only 20 minutes or so and then he left again!  I stayed on divisions with the ZL's to do some baptism interviews and so they could do M*'s interview!  The interviews went well the only problem was that I had to do 5 and I was getting sicker and sicker as time went on.  :(  It all turned out alright and I got to chill and listen to all of Elder Evan's good piano music at the end of the day.  I slept there and woke up the next morning to finally return to my area and see that good old Elder Briones did good things and set up everything for M*'s baptism!  She was baptized that day but it was pathetic the turn out.  We showed up at 4 when the baptism was supposed to start and not a single member was there to support us.  We had to wait until almost 5 and still only the bishop and the young woman's president were there.  It was kind of disappointing the ward dropping the ball on us, but M* got baptized in the end so all is well!   The thing we learn here though is SUPPORT THE MISSIONARIES!!!  Please? :)  

So to explain the other baptism I had this week they are the investigators of the Sister missionaries in my district.  There names are J* and M* and they are probably the most awesome kids ever.  their grandma is a member and so they've been going to church with her for a while.  They had talked about baptism but weren't really sure if they wanted to be baptized.  They were scared they were going to drowned.  That's where the DL comes in.  I came to visit and helped them realize they need to be baptized and showed them a picture of my baptism and told them I was nervous too.  They agreed to be baptized the following week.  I came back to do the interviews and they chose me to baptize them!  I was excited and so I came back on Saturday night to do the baptism!  

To end I want share a great experience i had the other night.  I was walking about 1.5 miles from the Hermana's area in Choluteca to the bridge where we would eventually hitch hike to get home and so I had a lot of time to think.  But what I really wanted to figure out was why, at this moment, I was so happy.  I was walking this big distance, I was super sticky and gross from sweating all day (as always), My backpack was heavy with wet baptism clothes, I was still sick, I was very hungry, and I had just stepped in a big mud pile.  But somehow I was HAPPY.  I just could not stop smiling.  As I walked thought the almost abandoned streets of Choluteca Honduras at 8:30 p.m. I could not wipe the smile off my face and I realized that I freaking LOVE being a missionary.  There's no other solution.  

The mission is very hard, Probably harder than anything I've ever done at times, but it's sooo rewarding.  I've learned so much and I'm starting to realize how much I've changed.  I've always known a lot about the gospel, but I think I'm finally putting everything together.  I'm finally figuring out how incredibly important this work is.  How much our Father in Heaven loves us and how our Savior knows each and every one of us personally.  He knows our trials and our difficulties.  I've always known that but now I'm finally realizing what it really means.  I've still got so much to learn too.  So much to understand.  I can't wait to see what else I learn and how much I grow in these next 16 months!   

Good luck to everyone on their finals!  I think they're this week?  

I love you all sooooooo much!  Be safe!  Elder Lawson

Me with my favorite animal!

J* and M*'s baptism.

On Divisions in El Truinfo with Elder Olsen.

M*'s family and baptism.

P-day ping pong.