Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Feeling hot, Hot, HOT

Buenas!  

What a hot week it´s been!  Around 100 degrees everyday with out AC.  I´m sorry I talk about the heat sooo much but that´s all anyone talks about here so I´m really used to it.  I will show up at any given house and the person will just be like "Que Calor!"  And we're like "Yep it's pretty hot huh, just like everyday."  haha The other night I had just taken a shower and it was like 11:00 p.m. and I was writing in my journal and beads of sweat were dripping on the pages.  RIDICULOUS.  But I'm actually getting used to constantly being sweaty so that's good!  

So yesterday was a VERY good day.  Mission wise it was alright, but what made it amazing was the love from home!  I got 3 packages all FILLED with goodies!  Needless to say I am very VERY greatful.  Everyone was super jealous of me.  I shared the goodies with my cook lady and her family.  You should have seen the pure joy on Lehi's (her 3 year old son) face when he was eating sour patch kids and skittles for the first time.  

So how are things at home?  How's everyone doing in school and work?  Finals are coming up huh?  Good luck!  Things here are going well!  On Wednesday we put on a ward activity to find new people to teach and to strengthen the testimonies of our investigators.  We wanted to watch the movie called "Joseph Smith: The prophet of the Restoration."  If you haven't seen it, WATCH IT.  It's amazing.  We had the whole activity planned out a week and a half before.  There was someone to make invitations, popcorn, the drink, and to bring the chairs and projector.  But what we came to find out  is that everyone had forgotten about their duties with the confrence weekend and so we had a few issues... I spent all morning calling different people asking them about what they were supposed to do and everyone told me that they had no idea about the activity.  Bummer.  We called a super awesome member in our area and she helped us do it all.  We made 80 bags of popcorn ourseleves over a fire and made kool-aid in a 5 gallon bucket.  haha At 6:30 when the movie was supposed to start there was absolutely nobody there.  I was pooping bricks.  All this work for nothing?  We then decided to go run to the houses of our investigators to convince them to come and they did.  In the end it went well.  We watched th movie and had a ton of extra popcorn and kool-aid.  The investigators really enjoyed it and the spirit was really strong.  The only problem was the members didn't do their part with the planning nor with even showing up to the activity.  This was a bummer.  So to all of you out there, GO TO WARD ACTIVITIES and SUPPORT THE MISSIONARIES!!!  That's the moral of the story.  

This weekend I´m going to have another baptism!  Her name is M* and she is 15.  She went to visit the temple open house and felt the spirit so now wants to be baptised!  She told us the other day that she felt that the Book of Mormon was true. :) We've been teaching her everything and we're excited for this weekend.  Funny thing, the other day we were teaching her about the Word of Wisdom and her crazy little brother ran up with an empty pack of cigarettes and threw it at us.  We just laughed at the unbelievable irony.  

WE'VE BEEN LIED TO - You know Christopher Columbus?  The first European to come to Latin America?  Well his name isn't actually Christopher Columbus.  It's Cristoffel Colon.  Just thought I would crush all your American history knowlege like mine was.

Good luck to My Dad and Aunt Taryn in the Boston Marathon today!  I'm thinking about you!  (Side note: We are all fine, we left the area before the bombs went off.  I had sent Tyler an email right when I heard what happened and he emailed back saying he saw it on the news at a Pizza Hut and was very worried!  Very grateful for technology so Tyler wouldn't have to be frightened too long not knowing anything.)

Thank you soooo much again to Mom, Kylie + Sister Hekking, and Grandma for the Packages!  And thanks to Bryant, Sis. Hekking, Grandma, and  Papooh for the letters! 

Lots of Love,
Elder Lawson

The Choluteca Bridge (They are very prideful of it).
I had to keep in the incorrect grammar there.  It shows how much he is losing his English!  He has a math mind but he knows to say "They are very PROUD of it."

Beautiful sunset!

Cooking popcorn over a fire for our activity.

Carrying around our "Home Phone" because we needed to call people 
and we don't have a cell phone.  (I wonder where he plugs it in?)

My distict having district meeting outside because the church was locked.