Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Blanky, shake hands with Everyone!"


HAPPY GENERAL CONFERENCE!!!  I hope you all enjoyed conference as much as I did!  This weekend was super great.  Since being on the mission I've grown to love (really more of an adoration) General Confrence.  I've been looking forward to this session for 6 months now!  I think as a missionary without all the distractions of the world it's a lot easier to appreciate conference, to focus and actually learn something.  I learned a lot in the MTC and I learned a lot yesterday!  I don't know, I just love hearing the words directly from the mouths of the prophets.  Conference is really different here in Honduras.  First off it's all in Spanish but luckily I got to go to a special room with all the other Gringos to watch it in English.  But not until after watching Packer's talk all in Spanish.  I was surprized at how much I understood!  2nd difference is that no one watches conference at their house.  Everyone goes to the church.  I think this is for 1 of 3 reasons.  First, a lot of people don't have TV or cable and for this they can't watch it.  Second is I'm not sure if they even know it's on TV.  But the biggest reason I think is gossip.  If you don't show up at the chapel to watch everyone talks about why you weren't there or notices you were gone.  The church is very corrupt like that here.  Kinda sad.  So everyone goes to watch at the church.  But the 3rd and biggest difference to confrence is the sessions people attend.  For sessions 1, 2, and 4 there were about 40 or so people in attendance watching.  But for Sunday Morning session there were almost 1000.  EVERYONE goes to the Sunday morning session and nothing else.  For priesthood it was the bishoprics and RM's and Priests preparing for the mission.  That's really it.  Just some interesting facts about conference here! 
 
This week I had the opportunity to do divisions with Elder W*!  It was fun.  He's a newbie straight out of the MTC.  He's a good kid though and we had a fun time.  I love working with him because it helps me realize how far I've already come. 
 
Funny story - this week I had the opportunity (trying to be positive) of eating beats and liver for one of my meals.  I literally couldn't swallow the Liver.  Out of all the food in the world I think Liver is my least favorite.  So I causually snuck it into my pocket.  But the funny thing is the member's have a pet cat and while we were talking the cat kept coming over and sniffing my pocket.  I kept pushing him away and luckily I got away with my crime safely.  When we left I threw the liver at a dog and made his day. 
 
One thing I realized even more this week is how much we take for granted in the States.  There are some people that live here that don't have electricity and only have running water once a week.  We're so blessed to have these two things at all times and Air conditioning on top of it!  And Computers and Internet and Stoves and Pure water!  so just be greatful, so very greatful.  No one in the States should ever complain about stuff they don't have, because they are sooooo sooo very blessed. 
 
Well I'm a little short on time today but Thanks to hma. Graham, Andrew Lauer, Mom, and Josh Jaeger for the letters!  I really appreciate them! 
 
Always with Love,
Elder Lawson

Me with two little kids in a Denver Broncos jersey and a Denver Nuggets jersey!  Now I have Rockies, Nuggets, and Broncos in my collection! 


Entire Zone

Cleaning the Pila

General confrenece with Elder Clawson.  
One of my best friends in the mission.
(This is the first time I have heard of him so I'm confused...)