Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Saturday, March 30, 2013

There's been a few CHANGES...

Heeeellllo family!  

First off, I´m still here in Las Unidas, Choluteca, Honduras.  BUT!  Elder Sears is no longer here with me.  My new companion is...Elder Briones!  He´s from Guatemala, a convert of 3 years, and completely new to the mission!  So I´m his trainer.  This also means it´s all Spanish all the time.  Because of this in just the last 4 days I´ve seen my Spanish improve leaps and bounds!  I don´t feel like I really have too big of a problem anymore.  I can keep a conversation with pretty much anyone.  It´s realy funny to listen to Elder Magaña´s new comp Elder Wilson.  He´s straight out of the MTC and can´t speak Spanish at all.  I feel bad but I´ve totally been there.  It´s so great to see how far 
I´ve come!  Also with all the changes I became the new District Leader.  When I found that out I was tripping out pretty hard.  Training a new companion and now having to watch over a whole District is a big BIG step up from just being a meesly junior comp.  Also, por eso I have to do all the baptismal interviews for the missionaries in my district!  When I found that out I was super tripping.  This week already I had to do 4 interviews and they were scary, but went well.  I actually didn´t pass the first two because they were still drinking coffee.  But anyways, I´ve got a ton more responsiblility and accountability now, but I like it that way.  It keeps me from getting lazy and I always work better under pressure. 
 
Change day was a pretty crazy day.  First on Tuesday night we were anciously awaiting the call to find out where we were going because we were pretty sure one of us was leaving.  At 9:30 p.m. we were waiting and the call didn´t come until around 11:00 p.m.  It was pretty nerve wracking to say the least.  We got the call and found out that Elder Sears was leaving me to go out East and I was staying here to train and live life as a DL.  We were both pretty excited, but sad to be splitting up. Elder Sears has been such a good comp/trainer to me.  I´ve learned soooo much from him.  After the call, I helped Elder Sears pack a bit and we went outside to burn all the trash we had saved up from the whole change together.  It was our final act as comps.  We sat there and watched the fire burn away and remembered all of our good times together here in Las Colonias Unidas (The English version of my area is the untied neighborhoods haha.)  After packing and everything we went to sleep about at midnight only to wake up at 2:00 a.m. to catch a bus to Tegoose.  I remember dragging all of Elder Sears stuff out to the main road in the dark and sitting there for almost an hour waiting for the bus.  Luckily no one was awake, because it would have been super easy to pull a knife on two helpless gringos with suitcases full of stuff.  The bus eventually came and upon arriving in the morning is was pretty cold!  I´m jealous of all the Elders in the North that get brisk mornings.  I know you´re all tired of hearing it, but it is SO hot here.  This week is called Semana Santa and is the hottest week of the entire year.  Tomorrow it´s supposed to be 104 degrees with 40% humidity.  I´m going to die.  While waiting for the bus today, it was 8:00 a.m., I was in the shade, and I was already sweating.  Imagine living in a sauna and that´s south Honduras.  People in Tegoose say Choluteca is the closest thing to Hell.  I´d have to agree.... haha but I´m loving it, the bright side is I´ll never EVER be able to complain about being hot ever again in the states!
  
Funny Story! - Yesterday we were leaving the chruch and a drunk guy approached me.  He held out his hand and I stupidly took it to shake.  Little did I know, he wasn´t planning on letting go.  He kept shaking it with a death grip.  He then started to yell at me about North Americans and how we are bad?  I´m not sure I didn´t understand all of it (and it wasn´t my lack of Spanish so much it was because he was wasted out of this world).  He continued his rant and then in a very loud voice said, "And who is the Enemy of all of us!?!" there was a slight pause and then I said "China."  He paused real quick and then said "YES!  China is the enemy of all of us!"  He let go of my hand and I said "See ya later hermano!" and we left.  Haha it was really funny.  

I hope you all enjoyed your March Maddness Weekend!  You know I was thinking about it a lot.  We went to Wendy´s on Thursday for lunch after district meeting and St. Mary´s was playing on the TV.  I may have snuck a few peeks at the game...I couldn´t help it!  I heard BYU won their first game in the NIT!  Good for them!  Rise and Shout!  I can´t wait to watch BYU sports again when I get back.  The only thing I miss more than BYU sports is all of YOU!  

Well, I love you all.  I hope you had a good week!  I´m still here just livin' the Honduran life and learning to love it.  Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts, know that I appreciate them!   I hope you liked my letter this week!  It was probablly my best one yet.  

I love you!  
Elder Lawson

Additional info he sent after my questions:  Sears in in a town called Danli. It´s a lot cooler there, he´s a zone leader.  Zone leaders are over like 20 or so missionaries and DL are over about 8.  The seasons are different here in Honduras.  Right now is the peak of the summer and this week it slowly stats to cool off more.  May is when winter starts with all the rain.  this lasts until november when the weather is really good and slowly heats up until now in March.  And repeats.

Last day of the "Gringo Dream Team"

Elder Sears - we will ALL miss you!

Change day

Elder Sears, yo, y Elder Briones!

The old house Yo, Elder Sears, Magaña, y Zamora

A bunch of drawings the primary made of them praying for us!