Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Monday, March 18, 2013

"Chasta!"

Hey Fam!

This has been a super duper busy week!  On Friday and Saturday we went to El Truinfo to help Elder Torres and Wallis there.  I´ve been there one other time (when I took pictures at the big white cross) but it was a fun time.  Basically El Truifo is a dusty little town in the heartland of Honduras about 15 min from the border of Nicaragua.  You have to take a little super cramped 1 hour bus ride from Choluteca to get there.  It doesn´t have any paved roads and all the people are pretty poor.  We went to visit cause Elder Sears had to do the baptism interviews for their investigators that were baptized this Saturday.  We spent the night and Elder Sears and I slept on this string bed that they had and it was very uncomfortable and we hardly slept at all.  But I feel even more for the Honduran people because a lot of them sleep on beds like that every night.  Friday night in Truinfo we went to a recent converts house and built him a roof!  I got super dirty, but it was really fun!  Service is always really fun because it´s a change of pace and the peopel love it.  

"Chasta" is one of my new favorite Honduran words.  it means junk or trash.  So if you're phone isn´t working or something you can say "Qué Chasta este teléfono!"  haha I love it.  

This week the Tegucigalpa Honduras temple was dedicated!  It was very exciting.  We went to watch the Cultural event on Saturday night via satellite and it was very cool.  We were all at the stake center watching it on the screen and everyone started screaming when we saw jovens (youth) from our barrio (neighborhood) on the screen.  It was very cool.  Basically a bunch of Hondurans dancing around and singing about Honduras.  Yesterday was the actual Dedication and there were 3 sessions.  We went to all three at the stake center.  Although we almost didn´t make it!  They started at 9:00 a.m. and the member we were with was running late so we had to rush to get there and we walked in right when they closed the doors behind us. Pheww!  They all had different speakers and it was great to hear from President Udorf and Holland.  I think the very coolest part though was when Holland gave his testimony in Spanish.  He didn´t know many words, but it was probably the most powerful testimony I´ve ever heard.  I loved it.  They didn´t end up talking to the mission which is a major bummer, but it was still cool to think they were in the same room that I was in just 2 weeks ago!  

Cool thing - the other day I gave a pass along card with a picture of Jesus to the guy that collects money on the bus and now it´s in the front mirror of the bus!  It´s super cool to see everytime we ride on that bus.  

So I´m pretty jealous I won´t get to watch March maddness this weekend.  Anyone who knows me well knows this weekend is my favorite weekend all year besides Thanksgiving weekend.  BUT 2 years exactly from now I´ll be watching it up!  Good luck to my Cougars in the NIT!  

Thanks a ton to Elder Low, Elder Jones, Papooh, Sister Guthrie, for the letters and Grandma for the magizines!  Also thank you sooo much to Mom for the math books!  I've already started practicing my math skills.  Everyone called me a nerd when I got them, but I´m excited for my calculus!  :)  

I love you all soooo much!  Thank you sooo much for the support!  

Elder Lawson

PS - Still haven´t recieved any pringles cans filled with goodies!  ;)  

6 months!

Giving the triple combination scriptures to my first baptism, Albaluz! 

We caught a bat in our house and so we of course put it on the batman notebook!

6 month activities!  Buring the tie....

writing it in my planner.....

Took tie off to burn thankfully!

Having fun in a hole in El Truinfo.

I asked what this hole was for and he said they needed the dirt to make mud for a house.

Don't drink the water!

HUGE leaves!

Mud house that I later built the roof on! 

Building a roof at night in El Truinfo!