Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The weather is hot, but the gospel is hotter!!

Heeeeellllooo Family!  

How was your week??  Things here in Honduras are great!  The work is really booming right now and so is the sun!  The other day I took my planner out of my pocket and was literally able to squeeze the sweat out of it!  Yuck!  So yes, it's baking here!  I miss the cold Februaries of Colorado!  It'll be weird the next time I feel cold!  Or even have a back that's not wet with sweat.... yuck!  But Elder Sears and I aren't letting the hot weather slow us down!  Changes were this week, but we stayed together in our same area but with one difference, we live there now!  We found a house and moved in on Saturday.  Now we don't have to take the bus/hitch-hike everyday to get from home to work.  The new house is a lot smaller, but with only two people it's nice and homey.  AND!  We have water and electricty all day!  With a flushing toilet I might add!  So life is good here.  We asked a member of our ward to help us move with his truck and when he showed up Elder Sears and I looked at each other and were like "We're gonna have to make 2 or 3 trips."  The truck was tiny!  But the Hondurans had other ideas! Some how they were able to pack all of our stuff into this little truck and then throw ourselves literally on the side!  (See picture)  Don't worry mom I'm being safe!  (Yup, looks perfectly safe to me.)  We only drove like 20 mph and it wasn't too far of a drive.  
On Tuesday we went to Elder Smith's area, Oricuina, to help them out with the work.  It was a really fun trip!  After working we were waiting for trucks to pass so we could ask for jalon (hitch-hiking) and we saw a bunch of mangos hanging from a nearby tree.  Of course we wanted to eat them, so with the help of some neighbors, we bajared (stole) them and right then a truck showed up and offered to take us.  So we jumped into the back of the truck and took off for Choluteca with mangos in hand!  It was a fun trip to say the least! 
 
This week Honduras played the US in soccer and it was a HUGE deal here.  Honduras won and all the people were crazy happy.  They compared it to a little ant beating an elephant.  We just went along with them and said we were happy too 'cause we're catratchos (Hondurans) like them!  

This past week Elder Sears and I really gained a testimony of fasting.  Up until now we haven't had any golden investigators or really any families to teach.  We try to focus and look for families more than anything because the gospel is centered in the family.  So we decided to fast that we could find a family and guess what?  WE FOUND 6!!  They're really great and it's so exciting to go to every lesson 'cause they really want to learn from us!  My favorite is this couple named E* and W*.  He's 20 and she's 19 and they have a 1 year old son with long blonde hair that's sooo cute.  I love teaching them.  E* is so cool and really interested in the gospel.  They agreed that they need to get married and want to be baptized!  So, pretty much the highlight of my life.  Family, I have a testimony that God does answer our prayers and fasting.  Just ask and you will recieve.  But if you don't ask, or if you don't ask with a pure heart having faith you'll recieve it, he's not going to give it to you.  Moroni 10:3-5.  So if you're struggling, if there's something you need in this life.  PRAY.  God is always there for us.  He's never going to leave us hanging!  I know you'll recieve an answer to your prayers.  I recieve answers to my prayers everyday here in the mission.  It may not be big things, but they are still answers none the less!  Like my plaque scripture says, "Continually raise your voice to the Lord in prayer."  2nd Nephi 4:35

I love you all and thank you sooo much for your continual support!  

Elder Lawson

PS - Has anyone ever sang the hymn "Come away to Sunday School" in Sacrament meeting before?  'Cause we totally sang it in Spanish yesterday...Oh, how I love Honduran church!  Talk to you next week! 

This week I told Tyler:  "You sound so happy son.  It makes me feel better knowing you are really enjoying yourself and looking to each day with a renewed energy and hope!"  He responded: "I'm having some fun!  It's a lot easier when I have awesome investigators to look forward too!  I know I'm going to look back and the mission is going to be a blur so I need to live it up!  I gotta go soon cause we need to buy a ton of stuff for our new house, I love you sooo much mommy!  Thank you for all you do to help me!!  I love you!!"  Gosh, I miss that boy!  Here are the pics - as always, my comments in blue:

Divisions (Splits) with Elder Smith
I asked about the sun hurting his eyes - he's very sensitive to the sun and gets headaches often at home without wearing sunglasses - and he said, "The Lord has blessed me and I've never had headaches or really been bothered too bad."

Moto taxi in Oricunia


Zone

Bajaring (stealing) the mangos!

I feel a meme here:  Goes on a mission, learns to steal.

Success!

New planner!

Jalon (hitch hiking). 95% of the time it's in the back of a truck 
because everyone here has trucks

Looks safe to me.

Baleadas with Elder Magana
 (Elder Zamora got transferred to Tegu, and Elder Magana stayed in 
Chulo to train a new missionary.)

MOVING!!!

Yup, perfectly safe.  What could possibly go wrong with this?  
*heavy sigh*

"Professors"
I was shocked to see a fan on the top.  Tyler said, "Haha yeah we have fans!  Are you kidding?  We'd die without them."