Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Monday, February 4, 2013

February Already?!!

Quierdos Hermanos, (Dear Brothers?)

Comó estamos?!  (How to find us?) This week was a crazy one to say the least!  We took two trips to help out other areas and they were super fun!  On Wednesday we went to help out the Hermanas (Sister Missionaries) with contacting in their area in Choluteca.  It was really fun to work in a different area and talk to different people.  While talking to a lady her son walked up to me and said nothing but "tonto" which means dummy.  Haha I was like, "aww porque?"  And he just said it again!  It was pretty funny.  Kids here harrass us all the time!  on Saturday literally 20 little kids were yelling "Mormones Quieren Café!?" (Mormons want coffee) at us all day.  It was ridiculous.  They followed us to a lesson and yelled it from behind bushes while we were teaching on the porch.  Also during this lesson at the very end Elder Sears was bearing his testimony and a car drove by blasting Opum Gangum Style.  The road was really bad so the guy was driving really really slow.  She couldn't even hear Elder Sears the music was so loud.  It was pretty funny, but we didn't let it kill the spirit!  

On Thursday we went out to work in a little city close to the border of Nicaragua called El Truinfo to help Elder Wallis there. (He said they need help reviving the area.)  It's an hour ride in a tiny bus filled to the brim with people.  They have a super big house that even has an empty pool in the backyard.  The next morning we woke up and hiked a mountian with a big cross on top of it for exercise.  I think the coolest experience came the night before. We all split up and Elder Magana and I went to do 2 hours of contacting.  I set out with 15 pass along cards, 3 folletos, and a Libro de Mormon.  My goal was to come back 2 hours later with empty hands.  I did it!  Giving away the Book of Mormon was my favorite.  I just went up to a random family sitting on their porch (around 5:00 p.m. when the sun goes down everyone just sits outside because it's nice and cool and it's too hot inside), and I asked them how they were doing and introduced myself then said I had a question for them.  I said "Han visto este libro antes?" (Have you seen this book before?) holding up the Book of Mormon.  they said no.  So I gave a brief history of the Book of Mormon and then bore my testimony that if they read it and prayed they too could know it was true.  I think my favorite part of the mission is bearing my testimony to people I just meet on the street and inviting them to come unto our Savior, Jesus Christ.  It kills me when people reject us without even thinking.  They don't realize that we are ONLY here because we love them and want then to feel the joy that we have with the true gospel in our lives.  

Changes are this week and we still don't know what's going to happen.  Elder Zamora has been here for 9 months so he's going to leave but with Elder Sears and I it's a toss up.  We both think that we'll stay together. No matter what happens I'm moving this week though because we found a house in our area!  This way we won't have to hitch-hike as much and can spend more time working there.  

Thanks to Trenton and The Culebro Family for the letters!!  

Con Amor,
Elder Lawson

This week I asked about transfers, how we would find out where he is, and if he would be able to go to the temple open house in a few weeks.  This is what he said:  "You'll find out next week!  But I'm not going anywhere.  I'll still be here for sure.  Oh I forgot to tell you that I do get to go to the open house 3 times!!  Starting in two weeks!  I'm super excited for all the temple stuff!"

Riding in "jalon" aka hitch hiking


A member's dog had a ton of puppies!  I wanted to steal them.

Trying to hide a puppy in his back pack!

Elder Sears tries to steal one too.

Trip to Tuinfo!

Very tight fit.  Tyler, Elder Wallis, Elder Sears, and Elder Zamora.



Pool at the missionaries house in Tuinfo.


Trip up la cruz




Only two years 'til Hawaii!




MORE hitch hiking - grrrrrrr!

Watermelon season!

Helping make tamales for service!