Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Monday, January 28, 2013

Baptism #2!!

Buenos Dias!  

First I need to ask, how'd the family/roomate prayers go this week??  I hope you all have good news for me!  I know that if you do this simple thing you wont regret it!  

So this month has gone by like a flash!  I really can't describe how fast the mission is going by.  Last night I had a dream I was at my house and I was so sad because my mission seemed so quick!  So this week I'm going to try my best into savoring every single moment!  

So...I have a problem.  I'm geting FAT.  I guess it could be worse and I could still be starving, but I kinda liked being really skinny!  I've definitely put all my weight back on and then some.  The people here feed us sooo much!  It's like an all you can eat buffet, but once you're full you can't just stop eating, you have to finish everything on your plate.  So it's really a all you CAN'T eat buffet.  Rough life, but I'm soooo grateful to these people for all the food!  It's just making me super fat.  And it's soda with every meal and huge plates of all sorts of greesey things.  Last night I almost puked again because it was a plate full of nothing but acidic greasey food.  But still delicious:)   Weird food of the week - chicken neck.  Not too bad, just a ton of little bones so not worth eating.  

So Nicolle got baptized this week!  It was great!  She's seriously the cutest little girl ever.  I saw her running around at church yesterday with the biggest smile ever on her face.  It made me really happy!  Crazy to think that just 4 weeks ago I helped her carry a heavy bag of water up to her house and now she's a member.  As for the actual baptism, again this week we had issues with the van to bring us to the baptism and it started really late.  But I've never heard of a Honduran baptism starting on time.  

We have an investigator named Henri that we've been teaching for a long long time.  Casi since the begining.  Way back in November we were walking through our area and he pulled up in his track and asked us to come over and teach him and his son some more English because they both know a little bit.  Our first few lessons were teaching English but in a gospely way.  As time progressed we didn't even say anything in English, it's now all gospel, all the time.  I love it.  This week we had a really spirtual lesson with him.  We talked about recieving answers to our prayers and how the gospel blesses our lives.  I don't think I've felt the spirit since I've been here as strongly as a felt it that night.  He told us that he talked to the missionaries 10 years ago but the timing wasn't right in his life (something we never knew before) but we asked him if he thinks the timing is right this time, and he said yes!  He told us he knows the Book of Mormon is true and loves the organaization of the church.  Our hearts were just beaming with joy.  But here's the sad part, he still has yet to come to church with us.  We wait and wait and are so discouraged when no one shows up.  This week we had zero investigators in church.  I just want so badly to help these people come to their Savior and it's so saddening when they don't want to.  But that's the mission, finding the people that really want to make this change in their lives.  

Before the mission, I don't think I ever realized how big a part Christ plays in our lives.  He's literally the center.  Our church is The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints.  Sometimes we get caught up in all the latter day prophets and Book of Mormon, (the stuff that makes our church different) and don't realize how important our Savior is.  We really are very similar to other churches.  The only difference is our chruch is the exact same church that was on the earth when Christ was here and is the only one that's 100% true.  When people tell us they go to other churches we always applaude them because this really is still a good thing.  Some people really don't understand our chruch though.  I can't tell you how many times we have to explain to people that we are Christian and we believe the same things.  Some people are really funny though, we'll teach them a ton about everything the resturation, Jose Smith, too!  And they accept it all.  "Oh yeah I believe Jose Smith is a prophet and we believe all the same things."  Us - "Ok then will you come to church with us?"  "Oh I already have a church and don't want to change."  One kid even told us that even if he knew our chruch was true he wouldn't go to it because it was too far away and his chruch was right across the street!  Crazy.  Everyone here is all talk and no show.  It's gets frusterating sometimes.  Their favorite line to say when we ask them to come to church with us is "Si Dios quiere" which means "If God wants" but it really means to them, no.  But we always respond, "Si, Dios quiere" as in, "Yes, God wants."  Haha but what can you do?  Alot of other people tell us that all churches worship the same God and so why should they go to ours with all our rules?  they just don't understand.  We just try our best to continuamente try our best to help the most people possible come to the one and only true chruch.  

Lastly, one you thing I want all of you  to remember is Heavenly Father answers our prayers always.  No matter how small the task he will help us if we ask in faith.  So what ever thing you need in your life right now, what ever worry you have, PRAY!  I can't tell you how much we pray in the mission.  It's probably upwords of 20 prayers everyday.  No matter how small the task may seem, God has time for all of our worries.  Just the other day we were waiting for a member family to arrive at our family home evening with Henri.  It was late and we were scared they weren't going to show.  But then I saw a car coming in the distance and said a quick prayer it would be them and it was!  I know, super small thing, but it made all the difference!  Just have the faith He will answer us and He will.  

Well that's all folks!  Thanks so much for you're continual support and prayers!  I love you soooo much!  

Love,
Elder Lawson

As always, mom's comments/extra information in blue.

Look at my soccer ball already!  Honduras takes a toll on things.

I think it is funny he is pointing to Honduras instead of Colorado!  
Obviously he's adjusting just fine.

He assured me he DID NOT eat this scorpion.

Elder's Torres and Wallis came to visit! 
 They were there to do "divisions" with them??

 Getting "Halon" the Spanish word for hitchhiking.  
(Don't be alarmed, it isn't like hitchhiking here in the states.  They mostly catch rides in the back of trucks, which makes me feel tons better!  Ha!)

Like this pic - looks perfectly safe, right?




I sent the same tie to each one of his friend's who are serving around the world in an effort for them to feel "tied" together!  They are all supposed to send me pics of them wearing the so I can create one large pic with them all together.  That is why Tyler sent these pics without a real explanation for them.

Pictures from a ward activity where we did a play on the pre-existence.



Nicole's baptism!

Such a cute girl.  I asked if all the mother's want the missionaries to marry their daughters to give them better lives and he responded, "Yes every single mom asks us to take their daughter and marry her.  It's a bit ridiculous at times...  They love asking about our girlfriends and stuff like that.  And all the girls here are in love with us too...."

 Fresh fruit in season!

Melon - very sweet!

Dead Gyrobos!  It's so satifying to see them dead!  
But the one above our room lives on...

I asked if the dog behind him was dead and he said, "Nope just looks dead.  if it were dead the other dogs would have eaten it already."