Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

An Eventful Week!

Hola loved ones!  

So I woke up to a very nice surprise this morning!  12 baby scorpions in my bed!  I awoke and saw them crawling around but I was like half awake so I rolled over and tried to sleep again.  I then realized what actually happened and jumped up flipping out!  I shook out my sheets and luckily haven't found any stings on my body!  pheww!  While cleaning the house we found the mom scorpion and it was huge!  I attached a picture.  The creepy crawers here in Honduras are crazy!  (It's the last pic added - prepare yourself for the horror!)

The work here has been going really well lately!  We've been working with Nicole preparing her for her baptism this coming Saturday!  I'm so excited!  This week I also had the opportunity to give a blessing to our ward mission leader who got in a bike accident.  I also never told you but I got to do a house dedication a few weeks back!  Blessings in Spanish are scary but my Spanish is improving by leaps and bounds!  I can talk with some ease now.  I did however, have my first Spanish mix up this week...It was a pretty bad one too.  I didn't know it happened until that night when Elder Sears told Elders Zamora and Magana what I said.  Needless to say they laughed at me for the rest of the night and the next day. I was teaching Nicole and her dad about Jesus Christ and I was talking about the Atonement.  I was trying to say Jesus suffered for our sins and during his suffering he felt all of our pains and difficulties.  The word for pain being "penas" but instead, I said he suffered for all our "penes" which means (insert male apendage here).  It was quite embarrassing.  I'm lucky Victor (our investigator) nor Elder Sears said anything during the lesson... I'm lucky this is only my first one, but I can't see how it could be more embarrassing.

So my problems with the not being able to eat the food are totally over, but my new problem is the members giving us too much food!  I'm gonna get fat!  Yesterday we had two big lunches and a huge dinner!  I thought my stomach was going to explode.  I was praying so hard just to be able to finish the food on my plate.  Also this week I had the opportunity (trying to be positive haha) to eat chicken liver and intestines. . . It was interesting. . . and by that I mean disgusting.  Have you ever had liver before?  Yuck.  I do feel pretty proud of myself for finishing it all though!  

Funny story: The bishop the other day told us that people need to start showing up on time to things.  (It's true, church here always starts 10 minutes late).  But what he said was that everyone here is on Honduran Standard time which is late to everything and they need to be on Mormon Standard Time which is prompt.  Haha I almost laughed out loud that here Mormon standard time is early!  

Challege for the week: Pray as a family (or as roomates if applicable) every night!  Do this along with your personal prayers, and I can testify that it will spirtually strengthen you and you will have more peace in your homes!  

This morning I got a ton of letters!  It was like Christmas!  I was soooo happy!  Thank you to the Smiths, the Hamiltons, the Scotts, Abby Evans, Mom, and Aunt Dee for the letters!  Mail is the best!  

I love you all!  Christ is our Savior and The Church is true!  Don't forget it!  
Elder Lawson

P.S. Also, I totally forgot to tell you!!  I had fresh squeezed Watermelon juice this week!  You would have loved it!  Right now is watermelon and mango season so everyone gives us unripe mangos (they like to eat them that way and they aren't bad), watermelon, and cantaloupe to eat!  Last month was oranges and they are to die for!  Sooooo good.  Fresh squeezed orange juice here?  YUM!  

Some things he told me in our email back and forth this week:
1.  How's your health?  Health is great.  I have random coughing fits from the dust and smoke here but that's something I think I'll just have my whole mission.  Two weeks ago I had a day where I had to stay home sick but other than that I've been fine and I'm totally healed now! 
2.  Any word on transfers?  Changes are in two weeks so I'll find out what's going to happen then. 
3.  Do you need anything?  Another package would be great!  :)  As far as things I need...I can get it all here, but care packages are always loved with sweets and goodies!  I'll think this week and let you know of anything specific I need.  Thanks mommy!  How much longer do you predict till I get the other one?  4 weeks?  Haha.


Roommates, companions, and friends.

The entire zone.

Colorado scented deodorant!  Ahhh, smells like home!

I need to ask him what they call Honduran cowboys!  El Dorkos?

Typical daily walk.

Full missioary clothes with my running shoes!  We had a dinner appointment like 4 km away so instead of riding on the bikes with everyone else I decided to strap on my running shoes and book it along side them!  It was so fun!  I miss running! 

Typical Honduran style bike riding.  I´ve seen a family of five all on one bike!  
We´re one of the only areas that have bikes to ride.

That was the momma and you can see a baby on it´s back!