Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Monday, December 3, 2012

I Got This!!

I was able to email back and forth with Tyler again this week!  He told me he would get to Skype us at Christmas!  Anyway, once again I have included extra information in blue.  Enjoy!

Hoooooola!  

Como Estan?  I'm doing pretty well!  This mission is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I'm starting to get a hold of this whole mission thing!  I was pretty baggy (Mission word for homesick) this week but now it's PDAY!  The only thing holding me back now is the language and the communication.  Ok, so maybe they're kinda the same thing...  But people here really stink at communicating to me!  And with a mom who has a bachelor's degree in communications, you can see how I would get irritated!  Sometimes I just think everything is so unorganized and I want to organize it better, but I can't because I can't speak Spanish!  It's rough.  But I'm starting to get it!  In church yesterday I literally had no idea what was going on and it was SOOO hot.  Air conditioning?  HA!  Our church building didn't even have running water until yesterday and it's one of the nicer ones here!  Speaking of hot, it's getting a bit ridiculous!  It's like 90+ degrees everyday and humid and this is apparently the cool season!  I'm gonna die in April!  I sweat all day everyday.  I get out of the shower and immediately I am sweaty again.  And don't even ask me about my previously white shirts...  But despite all that I'm still enjoying myself in preaching this gospel I love! (I asked about the water situation there and he responded: "One week the water is in the morning and the next it's in the afternoon.  And this week it's in the morning so booooya!!!")

The FOOD - The food here doesn't taste too bad!  It just doesn't get along with my stomach very well.  It's really funny.  I remember the first day I we got here and they had pizza for us at the mission home and I was sad because I wanted Honduran food!  Haha now I'd give anything to have some nice American grub!  I'm not sure if it's the not eating much or all the sweat but I've lost 15 pounds since I've been here!  I weigh 135 again!  I haven't weighed this much since High School!  I payed a guy on the street 2 limps today to use his scale.  (That's 10 cents.)  But the good news is everyday I like the food more and more and everyday my stomach gets more used to it!  But here's a question.  Who ever said it was bad manners to not finish all the food on my plate?  What an idiot!  I don't think they realize the mental toll and physical anguish this "politeness" causes me!  Usually the food isn't too bad, really plain rice and beans and tortillas.  The problem is it's SOO much!  But yesterday I ate my first super weird thing!  It's called Sopa de Mandogo.  It's a soup made with platinos, the roots of yucca plants, and, get this, the stomach lining of a cow!  It didn't taste too bad, just the texture was terrible!  It had the consistancy of fat, but it was also super hairy!  Yuck!  And guess what?  I followed the stupid rule and ate the whole thing!  I made sure to pray I wouldn't get sick and turns out I was fine! So that's a major blessing!  I have had some pretty delicious things here though!  The other day I bought a chocolate covered banana for 3 limps (15 cents) and it was way better than any I've ever had for 7 bucks in the States!  I've also had banana bread here which is like heaven!  Like I've said my favorite food is Tahaditas.  It's fried plantains with salsa on top. Soooo good!  We buy them every Saturday from a lady that lives next door for 15 limps (75 cents)!  Food here is soooo cheap! It's great!  The mission gives us 200 bucks a month for food and that's it!  Because the food is so cheap!  (So, you might be wondering, like I was, about the bathroom situation there.  Obviously he is using them a great deal with all that weight loss.  Apparently, they DO have flushing toilets but they don't flush the paper.  As we were emailing he left to go use the bathroom at the cyber cafe and returned to tell me that there are trash cans next to the toilet for the paper.  The cyber cafe was over 100 degrees and the bathroom much hotter.  Can you imagine the smell?  He said it was super gross.  He also said: "We have a toilet at our house but when there's no water you have to pour a bucket of water into it to make it flush!  And we always have electricity but only water 5 hours a day!  It's a water problem!  Our area we work in doesn't have water they have to go to a pump!  So we're lucky to have it just 5 ours a day!")

Guess what I got to do this week!  I cleaned my towel with our wash board!  I have such a greater appreciation for washing machines now!  Gosh it was ridiculous!  You people are so lucky to have washers and dryers!  I will never complain again when I have to do laundry in the US!  

Ok so I have a funny story!  We met this member this week named Douglas and he's such an awesome guy!  We're trying to work with the members as much as possible cause that's the way missionary work should be done!  (All you people need to go out and work with the missionaries!  The work is so much more sucessful with the help of members!)  But we went with him to the house of a less active member.  While teaching her she said she is going to a new church now.  And our member said, "Oh that's nice, is it nice and big?" She said, "Oh yes!" He asked, "Great, and is it nice a spacious too?" To which she replied, "Oh yes!"  Hahahaha it was great!  She told us her church was big and spacious!  After the 30 seconds it took for me to get the joke in Spanish, I almost busted out laughing in the middle of my lesson!  It was really great!  

The people here are amazing.  They litterally have nothing but are willing to invite us in and give us all they have.  I wish I could tell you more but I got to go, I will next week!  I just wish they would come to church!  UGH!  

Still haven't gotten any more letters since being here.  Only the one from Aunt Sarah that was 3 lines long!  Hopefully they'll start coming in!  But it's much better to just email me if you'd like to tell me something right away!  

Thank you sooo much for the prayers!  Even though I complain about the Spanish, it is getting better and better by the day!  I can speak with ease it's just the understanding others that I lack!  So thank you!  

I love you soo soo soo much!  

Elder Lawson

Another funny thing he explained to me over email.  I asked him how he got paper mail.  He didn't really say but did tell me that no one has addresses there.  The reason his mission office address is so long is because they are actually DIRECTIONS to the office!  Here is the address with the translation underneath.  It really made me laugh!

Colonia Florencia Norte, Contiguo a SEARS
Entre Boulevard Suyapa y PriceSmart
Edificio Plaza America, 3er Piso
Tegucigalpa M.D.C. HONDURAS C.A.

Take North Colony Florence road to Sears (the store)
Enter Suyapa Bulevard and Pricesmart
It's American plaza building 3rd floor
Tegucigalpa

Watching the Christmas Devotional at the church building.


Tyler said about this shot: "It's my favorite picture ever!"


Tyler's companion Elder Sears.

"The amazing zone leader Elder Adams."

"A turtle we found in our yard during morning exercizes!!"