Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras

Elder Lawson's Adventures in Honduras
Heleman 13:4, "And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."

Saturday, September 15, 2012

IT'S HERE!! TYLER'S FIRST EMAIL FROM THE MTC!!

(Mom's comments are in blue.)

Hola mis familias y amigos!!

It's so exciting finally getting to email you!  Wow soooo much has happened since I've been here it's crazy.  It all started with an unfortunate experience at the airport.  After pouring rain and sad goodbyes I started to make my way through security and looked at my new watch.  My flight was to leave in only 20 minutes!  I got a little nervous and rushed through security as fast as I could.  I got on the little underground tram and when I got to my stop I only had 10 minutes until my flight left so i ran in my full suit to the gate and when i got there the gates were closed and no one was around.  I didn't really know what to do since I've never missed a flight before so I used a pay shone (something I've never done before, yeah for new experiences!)  and called my mom.  i ended up talking to an airline worker and was able to get on the next flight 2 hours later.  I guess that's a sign that Satan doesn't want me to be here!  My goal was to give out some pass along cards in the airport, but...I wimped out.  Oh well!  I'll have plenty of opportunities to give out cards in the future!  (Tyler was at the airport in plenty of time to catch his flight.  Delta Airlines "reserves the right" to depart early!!  His bags were on the plane and he was at the gate at least 10 minutes before departure, but they left without him!  We can't figure out why it wasn't a security risk to have his bags go when he wasn't on the plane.  It was very frustrating to not be able to talk to him - no cell phone - but he worked it out.)


So besides the flight everything went very swell!  I got off and Uncle Chad was standing at my gate ( I wasn't expecting that) and it was really nice to see him.  Aunt Taryn brought me to the MTC where I was a little late, but It wasn't too bad.  They took me in, gave me my name tag(SOOOOOO COOOL!!!) and pointed to a building on a map and told me to go find my class.  I found it no problem and walked into my classroom where everyone was speaking spanish like crazy.  It was a bit overwhelming.  I met my comp and we went back to the bookstore to get all my spanish materials.  My companion's name is Elder Marques(Mark-kez).  He was born in portugal and has lived in London England the last 14 years!  This is his first time ever to the US!  He's a pretty cool guy.  We like to mock him and say things like "rubbish" or "Trousers" or "Queue".  But he's a really nice guy and he's very very good at spanish!  My other two roomates are really great as well.  Elder Chapman loves to laugh at everything which automatically makes me like him because i love it when people laugh at what I say!  And Elder Preuil is probably the most ripped person I've ever met.  He goes to the Naval Academy in Maryland and eats super healthy and works out like 6 times a day!  Ok more like 2, but he's still such a beast! 


So I'm in the intermediate spanish class in it's a little rough.  I've realized my spanish is a little sub par...  Especially when Elder Marques is like pretty much fluent, it's hard for me to think of what I want to say.  I PRAYED IN SPANISH!!!  It was really cool, but SUPER hard.  I'm excited to continue to learn more and more spanish though.  Also, I got called as district leader!  So I'm over the 8 elders in my district.  It actually doesn't mean much, really all I do is go pick up the mail and go to a few meetings, but it's still a cool title!  I need to stop using the words "cool" and "awesome" and "dude".  Our branch president is a lingustics professor at BYU and he HATES it when Elders use slang.  So being a district leader I need to step it up!  


Ok so I'll tell you a little bit about what we did each day!  (Notice how I said "we" I literally have had Elder Marques in my eye sight for the last 72 hours!  It takes some getting used to, but always having a companion isn't all that bad.  It's just rough when you want to just be alone for a second or if they need to run up to your room to get something you have to go with them.  But still not too bad!)  The MTC is the most tiring place ever.  We work 16 hours every day and sleep for 8.  It's pretty rough.  But I think I'm getting used to it.  I had a little break down in class the other day and I just wanted to go to sleep and be done with all of this, but I prayed for help and I was able to keep going!  It was a really great experience!  


Lastly we taught our first real lesson yesterday!  It was super tough in Spanish and I really just sat there while Elder Marques and "Mariana" just talked and talked.  I had no idea what was going on, but I still felt the spirit!  It was really cool that even though I didn't know what was happening the spirit was still there! 

Uggghh!  I wish I could write more but we're only allowed 30 minutes to email so I need to go!  My P-Days are Fridays from now on so expect emails then and letters to reach you by tuesday?  I guess that's right.  


Thanks to Mom, Aunt Taryn, Aunt Sarah and Uncle John, Kylie, Graham, Jenn, and Elder Goodsell for the letters!! 

ALSO, Kylie and Jenn!  You both put two different addresses on your letters... I wrote you both back, but I'm not sure which address to send the letters to!  So If you could please "Dearelder" me with you're actual address and appt number so I could send the letters, that would be great! 

I miss you all and love you all!  I'm having sooo much fun and

Pray for my spanish skills!

Love,
Elder Lawson


Tyler only has time to email us so the best and easiest way for others to write to him is through www.dearelder.com.  You do not need to create an account, you can just go in and select "Write Letter" on the top banner, then choose "Provo MTC" and fill in the blanks with the following:

Elder Tyler Lawson
Mailbox #:  202
Mission:  HON-TEG 

Departure Date:  1113

Under "Terms and Conditions" there is a box that you can just start typing in.  They will print out the letter and put it in his mailbox.  No postage necessary!  Letters are given out at dinner.  It can be very lonely to not receive mail so we encourage you to write!  For packages and mailed letters, use the following address:

Elder Tyler Lawson
MTC Mailbox # 202
HON-TEG 1113
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793